Unit 10 Elk Tag/Wife Pressure

TDoubleYa

Hey guys, I've been lurking for a bit and just thought I'd ask whether anybody has any info they're willing to share regarding a mid October rifle tag in 10.

It's her tag and I'd really like to make it a successful hunt for her, though I'm aware there are challenges. Thankfully she also has a OIL oryx tag (and as a family we have 11 tags total this year) that could soften the blow of any failure in elk season...

I appreciate everyone's knowledge base here, and I promise to contribute to the community what I can. Thanks guys!

I live 15 minutes from unit 10 and have been seeing more elk than ever before. All the tanks are full the lake is full and the grass is green it should be a good year to have a tag in unit 10. I saw 5 bulls together yesterday. Where are you planning on hunting its a big unit? I'll give you everything thing I got, what do you want to know?

Tailgunner, thanks man this is really encouraging to hear. My plan without knowing much about the unit was to focus on the Eastern portion of the unit. It's close to home and it has plenty of public, so that was my starting point.

I was looking for water in the Salitre Mesa area and trying to determine whether Bluewater Creek would be a worthwhile place to start, but that's just where I was planning on starting my search. Another poster DM'ed me some good info as well.

I know I'll have to get out there scouting this spring/summer just to get a sense of the surroundings, but if you think there are good places to start focusing, I'm all ears, man. Thanks again

LAST EDITED ON May-02-19 AT 09:47PM (MST)[p]I actually drew that same hunt this year. We killed a respectable bull last year in 10. It was the only one we seen the entire time but there was definitely a few others talking.

Touching on the subject of hunting pressure it seems like there was a lot of folks out in the unit last year. We spoke to one hunter and he had 10 people in his party and all had a tag. If you get away from the groups, you shouldn't have a super hard time of harvesting.

Good luck to you.

A lot of road hunters but there is plenty of elk in that unit if you hike in away from the crowds. If you have the first rifle hunt after the muzzy you may still hear a few bugling.

Plenty of water around this year and dry lakes have water now. The elk for that hunt will be moved around from were you see them now or even in aug or early sept.

>[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST
>
>Touching on the subject of hunting
>pressure it seems like there
>was a lot of folks
>out in the unit last
>year. We spoke to one
>hunter and he had 10
>people in his party and
>all had a tag. If
>you get away from the
>groups, you shouldn't have a
>super hard time of harvesting.
>
>
>Good luck to you.

Thanks and congrats on your bull.

I suppose getting away from the groups is important anywhere, but it sounds like there's a lot of tags there in particular. I suppose with that much tribal, more people will be in fewer areas.

Thanks for the words of encouragement, sounds like a challenge but at least there's hope!

Yeah it's the first rifle; it would be nice if we could hear something to help locate. It's hard enough as it is even with them talking... Here's hoping!

a lot of the groups and even a lot of the hunters in that unit road hunt. You get away and do some stalking of the roads you will run into elk. Start earlier and go list for some and you may just get lucky. There is always a few talking still at that time. Just not ones you can call in most of the time.

Oh the elk will still be bugling. I've been in the Gila 2nd rifle hunts usually stating around the 19th ish and they have been bugling.
Last year the smaller bulls were going nuts screaming till 10 A.M.
The big bulls had already disappeared though.
My daughter was lucky to draw the 1st elk hunt so were hoping to find a big boy still doing his thing.

>a lot of the groups and
>even a lot of the
>hunters in that unit road
>hunt. You get away and
>do some stalking of the
>roads you will run into
>elk. Start earlier and go
>list for some and you
>may just get lucky. There
>is always a few talking
>still at that time. Just
>not ones you can call
>in most of the time.
>

So I've heard of and seen guys doing this. Glassing from their pickup or whatever.

I don't want to judge especially since I'm 0-1 on elk hunts, but does this strategy ever actually work for guys?

I can't imagine ever doing this myself, but it must work sometimes, otherwise guys wouldn't do it, right?

it can and does work. I have seen elk when driving but I bow hunt that unit so it does not work for that.

I just know if you get out of the truck and walk you will have way better odds that way. The elk get pushed back from all the road hunters there.

PM sent

Does McGafferty Lake have water in it now or is it still dry.
that is/was a good camp spot also.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom