Unit 105 (late deer) ?? / Unit 26 (Moose)??

DIG

Hey fellow sportsmen. I got super lucky this year and drew more than my share of tags and I'm going to need some help. I would be extremely grateful for any info that any of you would be willing to share. Me and 2 of my sons drew 105 late deer. We don't know anything about this hunt other than the location, and that its a migration hunt. Any information at all would be helpful such as: Best place to stay, Type of terrain, What to expect as far as quality of deer, is their private property issues?

I also have a unit 26 moose tag. I have friends from both Wyoming and Utah that have hunted that area a lot, for elk and deer, and I'm planning on getting some help from them but I would certainly appreciate any experiences or info that any of you would care to share.

Thanks, John

LAST EDITED ON Jun-21-14 AT 06:22AM (MST)[p]It's absolutely amazing how many people put in for hunts and draw a good tag without the slightest idea of what they put in for. Then they come on a website where they've never interacted with anyone, ask for help, and then ride off into the sunset never to return and many don't even come back with a thank you for any help given. All I can tell you is that you may experience weather difficulties on that late hunt if snow comes early to any extent and the western wilderness part of it is off limits to NRs without a licensed guide or resident along. Good luck with that and on your OIL moose hunt!

LAST EDITED ON Jun-21-14 AT 01:12PM (MST)[p]

Its amazing to me how many a@#holes would judge a person based on a single post. For your information, I'm an avid hunter who has spent my life doing DIY hunts and helping other people free of charge. I've taken Rocky Mountain Goat, Moose, Bison, Elk, Deer, Antelope and Bear with very little assistance from anyone (only close friends and family, no guides) And I've helped people with information or with hands on help with all of these species. Last year I took a co-worker on an archery antelope hunt just two weeks after I left the hospital, where I had just spent the previous three weeks and had a pace-maker /ICD installed. He killed a 83" antelope and it was the first animal he had ever killed. I have also put 6 other people in the pope and young record book all while using my gas, my vehicles, and never charging anyone a dime. This year karma came around and I hit a "Tag Bonanza" I drew ORYX, Moose, 2 antelope tags, Nevada and Wyoming, and two deer tags, Wyoming and Montana. Not to mention, my kids also drew a total of 8 deer tags and two other antelope tags in 3 differant states. I have an extremely full plate and turned to this forum to see if there were some good people who might lighten my load on the research end. I have always been grateful to any one who has helped me, and have been willing to express that gratitude. You shouldn't assume that just because someone is new to using this forum, that they fit that stereotype. However, let it be noted, "Mr. POP-GUN, that your criticism is apreciated, @#$k you very much!

Oh, and by the way POP-gun, I also spent time on unit 98 antelope (same area as 26 Moose) last year, where my daughter-in-law killed an 81" antelope. Two Boone and Crocket antelope in two states, in two weeks. Not bad for someone who dont have the slightest idea of what they put in for huh popgun?

LAST EDITED ON Jun-21-14 AT 03:38PM (MST)[p]DIG,

I think a few of the questions you asked are pretty open ended...and any advice you get would be pretty marginal.

What type of buck to expect? With 105 being a migration hunt, I think you asnwered your own question. If a hunter had perfect conditions, knew chit from clay, and had plenty of time, probably would see better quality. If the conditions are not so perfect, time is short, probably expect quality to not be there. The hunter and amount of effort is also another big factor. Best tag in the state isnt worth anything if you blast a forkie off the road. Many hunters with great tags shoot stuff I wouldnt shoot on the last day with a leftover tag. I also think you're in a tight spot since you have 3 tags...pretty tough to find ONE true quality mule deer on a short hunt, damn near impossible to find 3.

I think best case, 1-3 of you may get an opportunity at a real trophy class buck.

As far as terrain, I'd look at a good topo map, and possibly google earth. If a topo map is something you can savvy, you can probably have a pretty good idea in 20 minutes where you should start looking.

Start there and make adjustments as weather, terrain, effort, time, etc. change.

Sounds like you've done plenty of (successful) DIY hunting...

Thanks Buzz, My questions were intended to be general. I don't expect someone to find me a deer. I was trying to get basic information such as: is private property an issue, is this an area where deer just migrate through or is it their destination (Winter Range) and would Cody be the best place to stay? I know quality of deer is down everywhere but didn't know if in the past this hunt had produced many trophies. I have always put in for 102 but because of conflicting dates, because I had already drawn moose, we opted to put in for a late hunt. Unfortunately, I know absolutely nothing about this unit and am just trying to get as much info as possible so we're not going in completely blind. Killing a deer is a bonus. We don't care if we come home empty handed, we just like to hunt where there is a chance of killing a good deer. Your input is appreciated. thanks again.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-21-14 AT 06:07PM (MST)[p]>Its amazing to me how many
>a@#holes would judge a person
>based on a single post.
> For your information, I'm
>an avid hunter who has
>spent my life doing DIY
>hunts and helping other people
>free of charge. I've
>taken Rocky Mountain Goat, Moose,
>Bison, Elk, Deer, Antelope and
>Bear with very little assistance
>from anyone (only close friends
>and family, no guides)
>And I've helped people with
>information or with hands on
>help with all of these
>species. Last year I
>took a co-worker on an
>archery antelope hunt just two
>weeks after I left the
>hospital, where I had just
>spent the previous three weeks
>and had a pace-maker /ICD
>installed. He killed a
>83" antelope and it was
>the first animal he had
>ever killed. I have also
>put 6 other people in
>the pope and young record
>book all while using my
>gas, my vehicles, and never
>charging anyone a dime. This
>year karma came around and
>I hit a "Tag Bonanza"
>I drew ORYX, Moose, 2
>antelope tags, Nevada and Wyoming,
>and two deer tags, Wyoming
>and Montana. Not to mention,
>my kids also drew a
>total of 8 deer tags
>and two other antelope tags
>in 3 differant states. I
>have an extremely full plate
>and turned to this forum
>to see if there were
>some good people who might
>lighten my load on the
>research end. I have always
>been grateful to any one
>who has helped me, and
>have been willing to express
>that gratitude. You shouldn't
>assume that just because someone
>is new to using this
>forum, that they fit that
>stereotype. However, let it
>be noted, "Mr. POP-GUN, that
>your criticism is apreciated, @#$k
>you very much!
>
>Oh, and by the way POP-gun,
>I also spent time on
>unit 98 antelope (same
>area as 26 Moose) last
>year, where my daughter-in-law killed
>an 81" antelope. Two
>Boone and Crocket antelope in
>two states, in two weeks.
> Not bad for someone
>who dont have the slightest
>idea of what they put
>in for huh popgun?

Look dude, FYI I probably give out more information and help more people than about anyone else on this website and especially on this Wyoming Forum! IF you were on this site and Forum any amount of time you would have known that, so bite me if I offended you. Reread your friggin post and in it you will see that you said you knew NOTHING about the unit you got the tag for other than you thought it's a migration hunt. A simple look at maps would tell you about the topography and landownership patterns, etc. You also offered no comments on your experience, etc., so how the heck is one to know whether you can even find the way to your friggin truck without a GPS! I offered what I knew about the unit and offered you good luck to end my post so kiss my azz!!! PS: Incidently, I'm going out a week earlier than planned this Fall just to help a guy on another website that I don't even know that didn't want to hunt elk solo when he drew a good tag and his buddies backed out of helping him on his hunt. Again good luck on both your hunts!

stay in cody--30 minute drive to unit. two dot ranch is only major private land. dead indian pass can be good area if weather cooperates. last week of hunt should see rutting behavior. good tag 170+ buck potential. pm sent with details

I had this tag last year and spent eight or nine days hunting. It was a fun trip overall. Beautiful country and LOTS of deer, but the bigger bucks were a no-show - at least in the areas I hunted. I don't have any secret areas to give up, but send me an email if you have any questions about my experience. [email protected].

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom