Unit 11 elk

I

IDAbowhunter

So I drew a late muzzleloader tag in unit 11 for either sex elk. I am familiar with the area, and know that the rifle tag is highly coveted. I was wondering why the success rates are so low for this tag. Is it hard to get to the elk later in the year? Are they harder to find? Also, those of who are are also familiar with the unit, what do you think the possibilities are of shooting a 320 bull?
Any tips are greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

How late is the hunt. I'm not real familiar with unit 11 but I know it's steep and deep. Is it possible weather would force them deep enough into the canyon not many would be willing to go down after them but leave them just high enough nobody wants to climb up from the river? Also unit 11 covers most of camas prairie up to grangeville right? Maybe the elk move up onto the prairie into the private grounds and it's an access issue. Don't know just spitballing ideas and giving you a bump. Good luck

I would say it is more the hunters that push the elk down than the weather. It is a tough hunt; that's why the success numbers are so low. A few years back, I added up all the elk tags for that unit and it was well over 500. Put the 100 mule deer tag holders in there, plus the unlimited whitetail hunters, and you have a lot of people walking those hills. That's not to mention the tribal hunters that have keys to all the roads off the top and four wheel all over the place with their rifles during the rut before the tag holders get a crack at it; the unit sits right next to a reservation. Then add the bird and horn hunters on top of that and you see that the area gets a lot of year round pressure.

I would suggest getting across the river and about .33 - .66 of te way up the other side into the deep, heavy wooded pockets. The chance of a 320 bull is slim, even with the rifle tag, but definitely possible.

I live near the unit and have hunted it many times for both elk and mule deer. I spend a lot of time there chasing chuckars in the late season too. I am always suprised that the journals such as eastman's call this a "blue chip" unit. While a few bulls are shot each year that are OK, it is certainly not a unit with 320 class bulls running all over. Go watch the quality of bulls coming off there in trucks around the opener of the hunt. Mostly rag horn quality. Tons of people around with all of the different hunts going on as was mentioned before. On the late elk hunts the elk are almost always off the top in the breaks. I am not trying to be a downer....just honest about what to expect. If you see anything close to 300 then you should definitely shoot it, and by holding out for 300 you may eat your tag.....

I dont think its as bad as people are making it sound. I had the deer tag in 2012, i camped out a ways and i saw 6 point bulls almost every day. I would see the same guys on the trail almost every day and they would ask if i had seen any elk and i would tell them where I had seen them and im pretty sure they got skunked because they either they thought i was BSing them or they just didnt want to go down that far. If you leave the trail and are in good shape you will see bulls. The biggest bull i saw on my deer hunt may have gone 330. Most were smaller raghorns. Most bulls were bugling for the first few days of the hunt also. I asked earlier if you had access to a boat and you didnt reply. If you do, you can hunt way harder knowing you dont have to pack an elk 2000 feet up a hill back to the truck. I do believe for around 600 bucks some local outfitters or jetboat companys will come pick you up. I have seen 350+ bulls in this unit. I will pm you places to start if you would like

Sorry thought you had a rifle tag. It can be cold in early december but most the same still applies. If you see 300+ id shoot him with a muzzleloader.

Not trying to make it sound bad?just realistic. I have spent 20 plus days in the unit each year for the past 10. I would love to say there are a lot of 350 bulls there but there are not. A lot of small six's yes but not easy for those even on the muzzleloader. Lot of guys on the late bull tag in past years shot spikes because they couldn't get into those with branch antlers. Many people will tell you they see 350s in the unit but I'd like to actually see those bulls measured once they are down. I did see a legit 360 taken in 2009. Saw a picture of one bigger a few years back. With the muzzleloader hunt, after all the other hunts are done, I'd still take anything close to 300 and feel fortunate if you do. PM me if you have questions. I will give you any information I can to help. Would truly like to see you succeed not hoping for you to do poorly.

acafton, you are correct, im sorry i thought this was for the rifle tag, but i have seen 350 bulls in the unit. Only a couple though, i lived in lewiston for 5 years and spent quite a bit of time up there. I had the muzzle loader tag in 2010 i believe it was. I only had 3 days to hunt. When we were leaving the river on our way up the elk were pouring into the canyon i was hunting and when i got up there. Not an elk for 3 days. Some big muleys and a few sheds but no elk. Atleast there are half as many rifle tags as there used to be before your hunt though.

Hey, sorry I've been away from the website for a while due to work. I appreciate all of your feedback. I do not have access to a jet boat, however, I am in good shape and will not let the location of the elk deter me from chasing them. I pm'd a couple of you. Mostly looking for realistic expectations on quality of bulls if I hunt my a** off.
Thanks again guys.

I dont think its as bad as people are making it sound. I had the deer tag in 2012, i camped out a ways and i saw 6 point bulls almost every day. I would see the same guys on the trail almost every day and they would ask if i had seen any elk and i would tell them where I had seen them and im pretty sure they got skunked because they either they thought i was BSing them or they just didnt want to go down that far. If you leave the trail and are in good shape you will see bulls. The biggest bull i saw on my deer hunt may have gone 330. Most were smaller raghorns. Most bulls were bugling for the first few days of the hunt also. I asked earlier if you had access to a boat and you didnt reply. If you do, you can hunt way harder knowing you dont have to pack an elk 2000 feet up a hill back to the truck. I do believe for around 600 bucks some local outfitters or jetboat companys will come pick you up. I have seen 350+ bulls in this unit. I will pm you places to start if you would like
I know it us now 2022 but I just drew the rifle tag veginning 10/10. I camp up in Waha often, especially around huckleberry season. Thinking about China Creek and seeing if any sign high or low. Will be contacting Andy with FandG as I think he is the wildlife biologist for Craig Mountain. Don't have a boat but can get access to one if need be but that would be last resort. Any other ideas to check out if you still know the area?

Not trying to make it sound bad?just realistic. I have spent 20 plus days in the unit each year for the past 10. I would love to say there are a lot of 350 bulls there but there are not. A lot of small six's yes but not easy for those even on the muzzleloader. Lot of guys on the late bull tag in past years shot spikes because they couldn't get into those with branch antlers. Many people will tell you they see 350s in the unit but I'd like to actually see those bulls measured once they are down. I did see a legit 360 taken in 2009. Saw a picture of one bigger a few years back. With the muzzleloader hunt, after all the other hunts are done, I'd still take anything close to 300 and feel fortunate if you do. PM me if you have questions. I will give you any information I can to help. Would truly like to see you succeed not hoping for you to do poorly.
It is 2022 now but I drew the rifle tag. Not looking for a monster just a decent bull and the meat. I camp in Waha often but for fun and huckleberry picking. Will hit up FandG wildlife biologist for Craig Mountain and will begin my scouting in China Creek. Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated if you are still familiar with the area.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom