Unit 11 Fire

L

lambeau

I was fortunate enough to draw a controlled mule deer tag for Unit 11 this year. Unfortunately, the Big Cougar fire is actively burning from Captain John Creek south to the confluence of the Snake & Salmon rivers east into Eagle Creek. As of now, it is only 20% contained. The areas currently burning are where I've hunted in the past and where I was planning on hunting again.
Anyone have any insight as to how much hunting will possibly be affected in this general area? With 2 months to go to the start of the season, I would imagine animals could move back in if enough cover is left in tact. However, if it's torched to the ground that would be a different story. I have not heard much news on the intensity of the fire at this point, nor do I have any experience in hunting burn areas other than knowing that subsequent years would generally probably be better once 'green up' starts.
Would IDFG potentially offer 'rain checks' for this hunt if enough public land goes up in smoke in this unit?

I just heard it was now 75% contained. We had very strong wids today (60 mph) but some moisture came with it, and more is expected on the way. So it does not sound like it shoul get bigger than the 60k acres it is now, but anything could happen. I would not hold breath for a rain check, ans I doubt there is much left for the deer. The land on the edges should be pretty good though, and who knows, could have some regrowth by then too if we get some Sept. rain.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom