Unit 119 deer, got map?

fishrite

My partner and I drew 119 for deer. Now that I have my map, I thought I would ask for some help. We had max points, and never been there. We live on the Oregon coast, flat landers I guess. It is too far to scout, but we can hunt the whole season. Planning on hunting out of a travel trailer. Is there an area where we could camp and be close to an area to hunt? Which town would have diesel fuel close by? And which is the best way to enter from, coming from the west. One more thing I have read it would be advisable to get a land ownership card for my GPS. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

FYI...to access take 120 north of Thermopolis. Nearest diesel will be Thermop or Meeteetse (to he north) both about 50 miles depending on camp spot. There is BLM and Natl. FS lands to camp on. The last week is generally better than the 1st week, closer to peak rut.

from the "Heartland of Wyoming"

Thanks for the info, you MM members have always came to our rescue. This will get us started in the right direction. I will try and remember to post after the hunt. I have sometimes been forgetful. thanks again.

Also, check to see if there is still a Hunter Mgmt Area, if so get a permit. Can do online. A GPS chip would be recommended.

from the "Heartland of Wyoming"

Not familiar with Hunter Mgmt. Area I guess I will learn more online. Will a person be able to hunt the national forest area that time of year? Thanks again

LAST EDITED ON Jun-23-14 AT 09:14PM (MST)[p]>Not familiar with Hunter Mgmt. Area
>I guess I will learn
>more online. Will a person
>be able to hunt the
>national forest area that time
>of year? Thanks again

The Hunter Management section of the G&F website can be accessed by highlighting "HUNTING" and clicking on that title over to the right side of the screen when a lot of stuff pops up. Right now it is down for updating and will be down for a while yet before the places are listed for this coming season. The big problem hunting unit 119 is that the BLM land and NFS lands are almost impossible to access because there are very few public roads in that entire unit. You'll definitely want a chip for land ownership and i strongly suggest you contact the county and get a good map of the roads that are publicly maintained that you can legally drive on so you don;t get ticketed for trespassing. Good luck!

Thanks again for the information, I believe you saved us a big head ache. We want our hunting adventure in Wyoming to be positive, not negative.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-25-14 AT 05:32PM (MST)[p]Buy the chip. I have done this hunt. You will need it. You can access the unit through the hunter management area at Grass Creek. You will see a ton of deer in the oil field at Grass Creek. But if you want to kill a big buck I would get away from the oil fields and the road. Goodluck it's a pretty good hunt but far from great. And don't forget about the grizz.

"Go hunt for meat at Walmart."

Here is a buck my dad killed in 119 a few years ago. It's nothing specail but it's the only pic of that hunt that I have on my computer.

4263dad4.jpg

I am sure if we see a few bucks like that it will keep our attention. I keep looking at the National Forest land on my map, will it be over crowded or snowed in or just poor access? Thanks for mentioning that we need a s/d card for the g p s. Kilbuc also did.

We thought it was just the wilderness areas that were closed to N.R. without a guild. Thanks for the heads up on that and the grizz.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-25-14 AT 08:25PM (MST)[p]>We thought it was just the
>wilderness areas that were closed
>to N.R. without a guild.
>Thanks for the heads up
>on that and the grizz.
>

The only area you can't go in without a guide if you're a NR is the wilderness areas and there is only one little piece way over in the far west corner of unit 119. The other post stating the NF is out of bounds is not correct. You can hunt all of the NF, BLM, and state lands as long as they are legally accessible without going through private property. If you find an area that would require the latter you would have to get permission from the adjacent property owner to go through that property.

I was a little confused, but I think I have it straight now. Good thing we got four more months before the hunt, I can see I got more home work. Thank you guys for all the help.

We didn't spend much time in the NF. We would hike to the top of rides most of the time and glass what you couldn't see from the road. There was about a foot of snow on the highest ridges but none when you moved down a little ways. There are also 100 or 150 elk permits that have the same dates as the deer permit. So you will see people. During the week you will see less than on the weekends.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-25-14 AT 09:43PM (MST)[p]WOW!

Where do people get their information?

Non-residents cannot hunt the NF without a resident guide.

If bullchit were music, this guy would be John Philip Sousa...

For the record, you can hunt all NF/BLM outside of DESIGNATED WILDERNESS, and that includes Wilderness Study Areas.

As far as the 119 tag goes, you will have ZERO trouble finding deer or public lands to hunt...FACT.

I'd not pass a 160+ mule deer with that tag and be prepared to see a lot of mature 3x3 and 4x3 type stuff.

Just sayin'...

After having some additional time to look over a good map for unit 119, I will have to retract the statement in my other post, as it looks like there may be a lot more huntable public land that is legally accessible than what I thought when looking at a smaller map when I made the other post. Good luck on your hunt!

>LAST EDITED ON Jun-25-14
>AT 09:43?PM (MST)

>
>WOW!
>
>Where do people get their information?
>
>
>Non-residents cannot hunt the NF without
>a resident guide.

>
>If bullchit were music, this guy
>would be John Philip Sousa...
>
>
>For the record, you can hunt
>all NF/BLM outside of DESIGNATED
>WILDERNESS, and that includes Wilderness
>Study Areas.
>
>As far as the 119 tag
>goes, you will have ZERO
>trouble finding deer or public
>lands to hunt...FACT.
>
>I'd not pass a 160+ mule
>deer with that tag and
>be prepared to see a
>lot of mature 3x3 and
>4x3 type stuff.
>
>Just sayin'...

I agree with not passing up a 160 buck. My dad's buck scored 151 as a 4x3 and mine was a 155 4x4. And they were the two biggest bucks we saw. The camp next to us did kill a mid 170's buck so there is a chance for a good buck.

The HMA permission that you need is for the Absaroka Front. Check out their rules and regs but I think they will let you camp on the land. I may be wrong but I believe you can. I'll be getting HMA myself for cow elk for the same area. Congrats on drawing I've put in the last two years with no luck. You can apply for the Absaroka Front on July 14 on the Wyoming Game and Fish website. I believe they allow any one that applies to hunt there. I've never had a problem getting the HMA permission for that area.

All you members have been so helpful, to us OLD boys from Oregon. Hope we will be camped close by. If you see our camp stop by, we may have some coastal seafood to pass along. Thanks again.

Sorry guys you are right, don't know what I was thinking. Thanks for correcting it. No thanks to the guys who jumped me for making an incorrect response. Good luck on the hunt, hope you find a great deer and have a great time. I think it's pretty sad around here how everyone wants to attack others for anything they say. I thought this site was about sharing in the joy of hunting not to start fights and name call, but unfortunately that's what it is becoming. Sorry I will keep my comments to myself from now on.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-28-14 AT 01:39PM (MST)[p]>Sorry guys you are right, don't
>know what I was thinking.
>Thanks for correcting it. No
>thanks to the guys who
>jumped me for making an
>incorrect response. Good luck on
>the hunt, hope you find
>a great deer and have
>a great time. I think
>it's pretty sad around here
>how everyone wants to attack
>others for anything they say.
>I thought this site was
>about sharing in the joy
>of hunting not to start
>fights and name call, but
>unfortunately that's what it is
>becoming. Sorry I will keep
>my comments to myself from
>now on.

Giving one's opinion is one thing. When you make a statement about a law that is completely incorrect like you posted and can screw someone's hunt up is a totally different thing! Don't get your panties in a wad over this, but just insure that if you post about a particular law like you did that you know what you're talking about. It sounded like the guy took your initial post as gospel and because of that he wasn't going to hunt a good portion of the area he had intended to hit. That Sir, would have been a shame!

muzzhunter,

Posting misinformation regarding regulations is different than an opinion...

Things are confusing enough without adding to it.

Never said it was an opinion I don't know where you guys are getting that. I never disputed that I confused Wilderness area and National Forest, and that was my bad. I should have caught myself and would have with the responses. It is just irritating that people go straight to name calling and inferring that it was done intentionally. I agree Topgun it would have been a shame if he had gone hunting thinking that he couldn't hunt the Forest areas, but I'm sure he would have done the correct research to find out the facts for himself or as happened one of the guys here would offer the correct information. Again good luck to the hunter on his quest.

>Never said it was an opinion
>I don't know where you
>guys are getting that. I
>never disputed that I confused
>Wilderness area and National Forest,
>and that was my bad.
>I should have caught myself
>and would have with the
>responses. It is just irritating
>that people go straight to
>name calling and inferring that
>it was done intentionally. I
>agree Topgun it would have
>been a shame if he
>had gone hunting thinking that
>he couldn't hunt the Forest
>areas, but I'm sure he
>would have done the correct
>research to find out the
>facts for himself or as
>happened one of the guys
>here would offer the correct
>information. Again good luck to
>the hunter on his quest.
>

Nobody said what you stated was an opinion or that anything was done intentionally. What BuzzH mentioned is that you wouldn't have been chastized like that for just an opinion. If you just state something that is an opinion, it's a lot different than stating a law like you did that was incorrect. The followup post he made was taking your word that you knew what you were talking about. Your assumptions that he would have been advised by someone else that you were incorrect or that he would have followed up on his own are just assumptions. He may have never come back to this thread or we may have never come on to read and correct your error. Let's just move on and be thankful that the error was caught and I'm sure all of us hope he shoots a nice buck on his hunt.

Congrats! So you did pull that tag huh? you will see a ton of deer and will be a fun hunt. been years since i have been there so im sure things have changed but we hunting grass creek and little grass creek i believe. we didnt have snow where we were but there were still a ton of deer. we stayed in Thermopolis too. when i was there there was a cow hunt going on the same time. I would talk to as many elk hunters as you can too, they will be a lot of help. I wish i had more info for you to return the favor for NV, but its been years and we were only there for 2 days!

Good luck and post pictures.

Travis

Yes we did, not getting any younger you know. The point creep is moving faster than my bonus points are. We feel real good about this hunt, with all the help we got from the members here. I know we'll have fun. Good luck on your muzzy hunt.

I wanted to thank everyone for all the help, and give an update. We hunted 13 days, first week was warm and no snow up high. Didn't see a lot of deer [except at the oil fields]. Second week the cold set in, still didn't see much for deer. Still not much snow, maybe 4-6 inches. Saw one buck a mile away that may of went 180, couldn't find him again. We ended up with a couple of 165 class bucks, they were heavy but no width. Sorry no pictures, cameras didn't work at 10 below. May be a good hunt with more snow. We had fun. Thanks again for all the help.

Fishrite you guys did just about right for that unit more snow may have helped some but 119 is not the unit it used to be. Are there bigger Deer sure but they are far and few in between.
Did you guys see a lot of Elk ?

Yes, quite a few. Both dead and alive. Some days we would see more elk than deer. It looked to us that the elk hunters were doing OK.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom