Unit 12

J

jaydanger

Just returned from a unit 12 elk hunt.Sept 15-21. Set out to White River forest from Hamilton area. Backbacked in set camp and hunted from there. Hiked and called and worked hard to find elk. Didnt see one elk didnt hear one bugle. Only found one carcass from earlier seasons. Did we just not due the research. We though unit 12 had a high elk population. Not a trophy area but a good hunt with lots of calling opportunities. Ran into 4 other hunters on the way out and they hadn't seen elk either. Looking at the maps we had covered lots and lots of ground (10 to 12 sq miles) One of the hunters suggested that the DOW had issued unlimited cow tags in 2 and 3 rifle seasion and the population was dn. Great trip just with burning preference pts to get the tag thought we would at least see elk. Thoughts?

Population is down but elk are very smart in the area and will head west onto private land at first sign of pressure. Usually have to get at least a mile and a half from roads and well used trails.

We hiked in 2.5 miles as the crow flies from trail head to set camp. Hunted out from there. We camped at 8700 ft and we hiked up and over into other drainage areas. The highest reading I remeber on the GPS was 10200

LAST EDITED ON Sep-26-12 AT 11:56AM (MST)[p]No your research was fine. The hunting was just really hard this year. The area I hunt in and have hunted for the last 15+ years was all messed up. The elk were not where they usually were and in fact I was finding em in places I had never seen them before. The area I hunt is not usually hunted hard by other hunters and as a result the elk tend to be extremely vocal when you actually find them. This year however, they just were not talking. I found lots of elk later in the season, but they were all acting weird. On 3 separate occasions I sat and watched small groups of elk. They were groups that were 4-5 cows, 1-2 spikes and a legal bull someplace in the mix (not a big bull at all). Due to size of bull, and conditions the elk were not where I could make a move and I had to sit from 200 yards and hope they just walked my way. That being said, having seen elk on several days and also having watched elk for several hours, I heard exactly 3 cow calls and 2 bugles. the bugles is not that big of a deal, but the fact was even the cow elk were strangely quiet.

As far as the unlimtied cow elk tags issue. It is a lie, it did not happen at all. All cow tags are draw only and limited. Last year was not a great year for elk hunting in general and by all accounts we did not significantly change the overall herd numbers. there are good numbers of elk in unit 12, but weather, hunting pressures, drought, bears (which seemed to also be places I have never seen em before), lions, etc. all play part on the elk behavior.

this year the extremely hot and dry summer played a huge role in elk location and was ultimately the main cause of my issues. This year was so dry that even up high there was hardly and good grass, I saw several springs in my area go dry for the first time in 20+ years. Where there was water the elk travelling over 5 miles to it from the bedding/feeding areas, etc. It was just a hard year and from what I have seen the success rate was down all over the place.

I have a good friend who works at processors place in Meeker. They esitamte that thier early season business was down by almost 60%.....

Also some of the area you mentioned is hunted hard by different outfitters etc. I would tend to say that packing in and camping in unit 12 is not necessary and not extremely productive. Instead I would suggest looking at camping someplace off the top around where the yellow jacket pass road goes in and being extremely mobile in that area as the elk will move a lot. The areas that a person can pack into and get away from the roads are all hunted pretty hard by drop camps and outfitters thus making them almost the same as areas with better access. I would think that having a good central camp then driving out from that camp and then hiking in 1-2 miles in the dark would be far better than packing in, limiting your self to an area etc.

Just some food for thought on your next trip out.

We camped near Baldy Mountain and Sleepy Cat. I didn't know about the Outfitters. There were one or 2 strings of pack horses that we saw. The guy I hunted with had hunted tere 5 years ago and said you could hear elk walk by camp at night on way dn to feed.

I guess live and learn. It is interesting that the elk wern't vocal at all and others observed that at least I am not the worst elk hunter in the world.

We found 3 wallow only one had evidence of being used recently. We also noticed that it was extremely dry. Very little running water and zero water in the meadows where you could see there was normally water.

WE have yet to decide if we will hunt there again of try a different area. Thetrip was great, the scenery was great, always good to be in the mountains. Just had hoped to see and call in some elk.

>We camped near Baldy Mountain and
>Sleepy Cat. I didn't know
>about the Outfitters. There were
>one or 2 strings of
>pack horses that we saw.
>The guy I hunted with
>had hunted tere 5 years
>ago and said you could
>hear elk walk by camp
>at night on way dn
>to feed.
>
>I guess live and learn. It
>is interesting that the elk
>wern't vocal at all and
>others observed that at least
>I am not the worst
>elk hunter in the world.
>
>
>We found 3 wallow only one
>had evidence of being used
>recently. We also noticed that
>it was extremely dry. Very
>little running water and zero
>water in the meadows where
>you could see there was
>normally water.
>
>WE have yet to decide if
>we will hunt there again
>of try a different area.
>Thetrip was great, the scenery
>was great, always good to
>be in the mountains. Just
>had hoped to see and
>call in some elk.

I would chalk it up to this being a very atypical year and would encourage you to return at a later date and hunt it again. Like I mentioned things were just really different this year. It may even take a couple years return to "normal". I honestly believe it is far more important to know the land. Each you u hunt an area hunting tends to get better just because you know more. I really do not think there are really any places "better" especially for archery hunts. I feel that many hunters try a spot one year have no success so they move. they move and kill and elk so they hunt there again, and do not kill an elk and then move again etc. If you liked the area, the country and the hunt stick with it and figure out the elk in that particular area. Just my 2 cents....

Packing in whether by outfitters or a tent on your back is the way to go. By 2nd 3rd of September the elk are deep in the timber and far away from any human activity. Tough year though so far no doubt.

Jaydanger thats some tough huntin there.I am heading there from NC in a couple weeks and will be tickled to shoot something,but I am guessing the drought is changing alot of the elk movements.Wonder if the recent rain will help or is it too late?

I would say that the addition of other hunters and some moisture would get them moving around. I would say that the advice from the locals on MM would have a better indication of what the real picture is. We were only there for one week. We only hunted a small portion of the unit. With the old trails from the summer and the old poop there has to be elk there somewhere. I can assure you would rather be out there watching the sun rise and set over the rockies than back in Kansas doing construction.

I hunted 12 solo, packed in 3 miles the same week as you and had the same experience. The conditions were not that bad above 10,000 feet, plenty of green grass and water in spots but the elk all went down drainage, way down drainage at night. I couldn't figure out why. I heard NO bugling at night, and very little in the AM which is very strange during the rut. In fact the only elk I heard were between 4-6 PM, it was dead silent the last hour before sunset. The numbers are down no doubt from 3 years ago when I was there last. Back then they gave out a ton of muzzleloader antlerless tags. I saw only 1 nice bull and a bunch of barely legal rags, you would need a ruler to verify they were legal (be it brow tines or pts). I wonder if the 4 pt rule isn't having an effect on this?

I don't think 12 was what it once was, especially for a limited draw unit. There are also a ton of outfitters which can't help. Anyone hunt 23/24 S of the river?

Before I would give up on unit 12,I would try a first season rifle hunt.Now you know some thing about the unit and terrain,give it another chance.It hasbeen a tradionally good unit for years.Ihear elk numbers are down,but there still should be some good elk hunting there.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom