unit 121 deer

adirondack

I am planning on applying my daughter here for the late hunt. Is there anyone with any general opinions of deer numbers and access in this unit? We will just be looking for a good hunt, low tag numbers and hopefully very few elk hunters. I can help return info in other NV. units as well as CO,WY,MT and NM. Thanks Rob

Is that the area huntin fool is touting now? There are deer, the country is nice enough and they aren't hard to find.
Access and Elk hunters are the least of things I would be concerned about, other than that its pretty straight forward.

I had the elk tag there a few years back.
I saw a few bucks daily,nothing big. no rutting activity.
But I did run into a late archery hunter that took a great buck.
190 plus... he had scouted the area, had the buck on camera too.
I think he said he worked for a guide.
having hunted several areas around nevada, it's not one of my 5 picks...

piper, one of the reasons I love Nevada is I'm close enough, and have many, many friends that apply and hunt in Nevada regulary that I don't need HFs services in Nevada thus I try to stay away from thier recommendations. BUT they do usually name the very top end hunts thus my 1st couple of choices mirror theirs. After that I stay away from their recommendations.

For what that's worth.

I always apply for Nevada because I grew up there, the deer hunting has deteriorated over the years, drought, the mining boom, the proliferation of ATVs ect. but its still pretty good.

I was ribbing Adirondack because I believe he is one of the poster boys for hunting fool magazine.

I don't think I would call myself a poster boy. I am way to ugly for that. I also look thru the "fool" as much to know which units to stay away from when you have but one pick in the draw. When you live east of the Mississippi it is hard to get much scouting time in. I have been lucky drawing tags for a regular guy. I spent 8 days in Pioche camped in a wall tent with my 8 year old son last fall. Didn't kill a thing but it was the best hunting trip ever for me. Hopeing I can get my daughter hooked before she turns into a young lady. 121 is not anywhere in the hunting fools pages so I thought she might have a chance to draw. Just trying to draw a tag and have alittle fun. Thanks for the info guys. Rob the "Poster Boy"

Mr. Ducks and Bucks, Is the unit fairly roaded? I think she would do well with 1 1/2 mile or less type hikes to vantage points and then a stalk or back to the truck and try again. Would you say it is that kind of hunting or would it be more rugged type terrain? I think we are going to try to draw it anyway. Are you on your 10 year elk break? I have 9 more years to wait. But luckly I have a big family so I may still get to "go" again in my lifetime. Rob

I will take you up on the lunch offer Adirondack. The southwest end of the unit is where I would hunt in the Cherry creek range , more than likely the deer are down lower in the late hunt, its an easy area to figure out, and like most of Nevada there are actually too many roads.

I've hunted that unit a number of times, the late hunt is harder to draw than you may realize. I have it as one of my choices again this year. If you draw, drop me a line and I will give you some detailed info on where to start your search. My last buck out of there was 188 and change. the unit has some easy to get to spots and some wilderness you need to hike into. Timing on the rut is key.

bp

Thanks for the info. The tag is the hard part for sure. Good luck in the draw. If she does hit a tag I will drop you a line. Thanks again, Rob

Nevada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Currant Creek Outfitters

Nevada, big bucks and big bulls! We hunt for quality not quantity.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

SilverGrand Outfitters

Successfully guiding in Nevada for many years. Mule deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep hunts.

Hidden Lake Outfitters

Specializing in trophy mule deer hunts along with elk, mountain goat, antelope and mountain lion.

G&J Outdoors

Full time outfitter with 20+ years hunting mule deer, sheep, elk, antelope, lion and chukar.

Mountain Man Outfitters

Offering world class mule deer hunts in some of the most productive units in Nevada.

Nevada High Desert Outfitters

Rocky mountain goats, desert, rocky and california bighorn, mule deer, antelope and elk hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

If you want an unguided hunt but can't draw your tags, you need to call us.

White River Guide Service

50 years of guiding experience! Mule deer, elk, sheep and cougar.

Back
Top Bottom