Unit 13 backcountry question

UtahMountainMan

Hey guys - I have a 2nd season Unit 13 archery tag this year. I live in Utah, 36 years old, and will be hunting solo.

I took a trip down there this past weekend for 3 days and spent a day and a half covering the area around the northern end of the unit south of Grants, and the other half of the time looking around the area near Datil.

Im wondering if anyone who has hunted this unit before could give me some tips on what the most remote canyons or general areas are that they have found. Im debating whether I should be hunting alongside the private/reservation boundary somewhere hoping to catch a big bull crossing over or if I am better served hiking up and down a few drainages away from roads and sticking in the middle of public.

My goal is a 300"+ bull in remote and extreme terrain with the hopes of lucking into a bigger one. I won't be passing a 300" bull in hopes of something bigger, I just want a good mature 6 point and I want to work hard and get away from other hunters.

Thanks fellas, PM me if you prefer. I can provide pretty good intel on Utah deer and elk if anyone is interested.

"You sure you know how to skin grizz,
pilgrim?"

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom