Unit 142, any bucks left ?

T

tumbleweedz

I'm just wondering what you guys know about the buck quality in 142. I've read the comments about it not being what it used to be but that can be said for most of Colorado I think. I never see any discussion or comments about 142 anymore. I know 21, 10 the Gunnison units (at least before the killer winter)and a few others were the so called hot units recently. At one time 142 was sorta the "it" unit. Has it really fallen off so much that no one even considers it as a top choice anymore, or is it still a very good unit but doesn't get any press because it's the toughest unit to draw?

Pinon Canyon is still a good bet for big muleys. The army is a pain in the arse, which can be a risk, and it takes a lot of points so it doesn't get any publicity.

Thanks for the comments guys. I know it can be a crap shoot with the army and maneuvers and their rules about access.

If you had the points to draw the tag, is the quality of bucks good enough to make you want to make 142 your first choice?

I have hunted PCMS a couple of times, but not for mule deer.

My most recent experience is this: the recreation people and biologist out of Fort Carson are great guys. Very helpful, great to work with and genuinely want you to have a good hunt. The army guys on PCMS are the opposite. They could careless if you have a good hunt or not. In fact ? they seem to go out of their way to help you have a bad hunt.

If you decide to apply and draw the tag, do not plan on having time to scout. Assuming you draw the rifle tag my recommendation would be to plan on scouting when the range is open for antelope season. Get your scouting done then, ignore any pcms jerks and enjoy your deer hunt. It is a cool place, not sure if the tag is worth that many points? But ? you will have a good time I am sure.

zekers, would definitely be the dec hunt

ramtagless,
what would I be looking for if I scouted early during the antelope season? Wouldn't the tail end of the rut be going on in Dec and the deer be more or less on winter range,(whatever constitutes winter range in that country?)

You would be learning your way around. good glassing spots, individual canyon access pts, etc. check it out on google earth and on topo and you can see it there is a lot of differing terrain to know. With all those points you may want to hit the ground running when the season opens instead of poking along sorting things out...

I would talk to the game warden in the area before burning your points on the tag. Last year there were lots of issues with access due to Army issues.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom