Unit 16 C weather?

D

DocGlenn

I got drawn for the 3rd archery hunt in 16C. The hunt starts on Sept 16 and I was wanting to get some idea as to what the weather might be like that time of year. Is there a town in the area that I could look at online to get an accurate forecast that would be close to the hunting area? I'm trying to get my clothing ready to go and this would help a lot. Thanks!
Glenn

There is a town 20 miles to the east of your unit. Paved road all the way. They have fuel including diesel. Some limited supplies. Small town. WInston I believe. Nearest full service town 70 miles away, truth or consequences. Cell phone service is non-existant in the unit without a booster. The weather ranges from 20 degrees in the morning to 60 degrees in the afternoon. It can rain and can be brutal if weather. Make sure you have good wet weather gear. It is great that you drew a tag, but take it for what it is, this is a tough archery hunt. You will not likely see elk everyday and yes there is a chance to see a big bull, but the reality is if you see a 5 or 6 point bull you had better let an arrow fly. I have hunted your hunt three times, spent countless hours scouting, with trail cameras running all summer. In my opinion, this is not a trophy unit. So have a great time, but know that for the Gila, this unit has a smaller population of elk, with generally speaking smaller bulls, than 16 A, B, D or unit 15. But still can be a fun hunt if you do a ton of scouting or hire a guide. You won't likely show up for this hunt without a lot of scouting and kill a bull. The success rate speaks for themselves, usually below 15%. The Elk are in pockets and they move from bugling in the morning, sometimes miles to their bedding spot. If you don't find the pockets, the hunt will be frustrating. There is enough water by that hunt, that sitting water can be pretty hit or miss, pretty much miss if the water is anywhere by the road. Plenty of places to camp, the biggest mass of camper/hunters will be out by black mountain (i think wolf something campground). There are some private land issues, so know where you are. Good luck to you.

My boy just introduced me to this website by the way, I am deciding on whether or not to get my own hunting name. He said there is a PM option, if you PM he will let me know and I may be able to give some help. I'm hijacking his account basically. These kids know a lot more about computers than I do.

Thanks.

Typo on the hunt dates, it runs 19th-24th. Thanks for the info, not really the kind of news I wanted to hear, but I do appreciate a realistic point of view. The weather sounds like what I expected with the rain thrown in just to make it fun. If anyone else has anything to add, please feel free! Thanks again!
Glenn

I don't know how many 20* mornings you will have, but I suppose it could happen. I would expect more temps from 50*-80*, and definitely plan on some rain(hopefully, anyway). If you use weather underground, you can search for Beaverhead Airstrip, NM. There is a weather station there, and it is on the 16A-side of 16C. Try this link http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast?query=zmw:87943.6.99999

If that doesn't work, just go to www.wunder.com and type in Beaverhead Airstrip, NM in the search bar. Good luck.

Thanks for the link! I've got it saved. I'm sure it will be useful in the days leading up to the hunt. Thanks again!

Mornings will be significantly colder than 50 degrees. If you dress for 50 you'll be chilled. Most mornings a couple of years ago on that hunt ran from 22 to 32 degrees on my truck thermometer. I was up on the hills before you drop down to diamonds ranch area. In the day it gets warm when there isn't weather. highs were in the mid 60s. Good luck on your hunt. I agree not an easy hunt. If you go in not scouting at all, you probably will be frustrated. Show up 4 or 5 days before your hunt and you have a chance. Don't expect lots of elk or giant bulls, take this unit for what its worth and have a great time!!! hunting is always better than being home.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-16-13 AT 09:04AM (MST)[p]16C is the most underrated unit in the Gila. There are some GIANT bulls killed in the unit every year and this year will not be an exception. Seems like the unit fell out of grace with the Eastmans and Carters several years ago as the wolf issue was peaking in the media and reports of depredation on elk calves came out. If you scout and can hunt, this is a killer unit. Completely underrated and kept that way by those that hunt it.
-Cody

ps. Weather can get very hot during the day and mornings are typically cool, but have not been cold the past few years. Always keep your rain gear handy. I'm usually sleeping on top of my sleeping bag at night and hot as soon as the sun hits. I've never had it freeze on this hunt.

http://themeateater.com/
www.streamflies.com

I guess it depends on what a giant bull is to you? Can tell you this, very uncommon to see a 350 bull come out of the public part of this unit on a regular basis right now. I have been frequenting the unit for a while. It has gone down hill significantly over the last 5 to 6 years. Wolves, burns, weather? I don't know what it is but Eastman's and Carters nixed it for good reason, I am sure their readers pay enough money and start to complain when you aren't seeing the big ones. The giant bulls that have been shot in the past are typically taken off of a very controlled ranch, that is private and leased by an outfitter that lives right in the heart of the unit. You could try to hunt the borders of the ranch, which a lot of folks do. One thing that I have noticed is that trail cams don't lie, the quality is just not what it used to be. I'm just saying this, so that if you see a solid bull, ie 300 inches early in the hunt, I would strongly consider letting an arrow go. Have fun, just make sure you have time to scout a bit.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-16-13 AT 04:26PM (MST)[p]
>I guess it depends on what
>a giant bull is to
>you? Can tell you
>this, very uncommon to see
>a 350 bull come out
>of the public part of
>this unit on a regular
>basis right now. I
>have been frequenting the unit
>for a while. It
>has gone down hill significantly
>over the last 5 to
>6 years. Wolves, burns,
>weather? I don't know
>what it is but Eastman's
>and Carters nixed it for
>good reason, I am sure
>their readers pay enough money
>and start to complain when
>you aren't seeing the big
>ones. The giant bulls that
>have been shot in the
>past are typically taken off
>of a very controlled ranch,
>that is private and leased
>by an outfitter that lives
>right in the heart of
>the unit. You could
>try to hunt the borders
>of the ranch, which a
>lot of folks do.
>One thing that I have
>noticed is that trail cams
>don't lie, the quality is
>just not what it used
>to be. I'm just
>saying this, so that if
>you see a solid bull,
>ie 300 inches early in
>the hunt, I would strongly
>consider letting an arrow go.
> Have fun, just make
>sure you have time to
>scout a bit.

Great post. I mostly agree, except that there are more big bulls killed in C every year than 21A or 16E. Big as in 370+ and not just on the Adobe. No unit in that area is as good as it was 6 years ago, that is for certain. I definitely don't see the same quality of bull that I used to, but that goes for every Gila unit. And you are right, if I had a shot on a 300" bull I'd be a fool to pass, but that is also true in nearly every unit these days unless a guy has located one of the few monsters. Do some internet research to see some of the big C bulls being killed and to find some of the spots that traditionally produce. Then hammer down on scouting and this unit will treat you right. Not a lot of elk, but definitely some bigguns.

edit: Word to the wise. Do NOT even think about crossing an unknown fence in this unit unless you are looking for trouble. The private in the unit hammers on trespassers...

www.streamflies.com

Let's just put it this way. If you know where to go there are some very nice bulls, at least in my book in this unit. 350" bulls are not behind every tree, but on average you will see 2 or 3 on the 3rd bow hunt and 300" bulls every day. I have to agree with the other post about 16C being a really under rated unit. The youth hunt is hands down one of the best in the state (if you know where to go). I am just waiting for my boys to get old enough to hunt and this is where I will take them. The area I have was found by accident. I wasn't elk hunting at the time, but it is loaded with elk every year. I am sure there are several other areas like it in the unit.

I hunt 16 c almost every year it's easy to draw deer tag there saw 5 bulls there during youth deer hunt after all the elk hunts were over should be really good this year don't usually see bulls .

I really appreciate all the info. It sounds like it is going to be a great hunt. My last elk hunt was 20 years ago, so I excited about the possibilities.

On a different note, do you have to worry about mosquitoes in this area during this time of year? I was wondering if I should pack my Thermacell? That time of year in GA, I don't go in the woods w/o one anymore. I lived in Winsolw a long time ago, and the mosquitoes could get brutal at dusk. Anyone think I would need a themacell for a long sit at a tank or wallow? Thanks!

Just so there are no misconceptions about 16C. If you are an elk hunter, in solid mountain shape, and willing to cover some country, you will not struggle with this hunt. If you think you will sit water and shoot a monster, well, you have another thing coming. Any tank or water hole that is accessible on public land and has a good bull coming into it well be well scouted and you will have competition just being the guy to hunt it. There are some giant bulls killed over water, but you better be lucky to find such a spot and even luckier if it isn't miles from the nearest road. Tough to say if water will even be a factor in September given how much rain has been hammering the Gila the past few weeks. Stay mobile and hunt hard and 16C will produce.
-Cody

www.streamflies.com

Here is the problem with all the comments. I am certainly no guide, but you guys are painting an unrealistic picture of this Unit. The guy is from out of state, he has no time to scout and you guys are making it seem as though he will see bulls everyday and probably 2 or 3 350 plus bulls in the season. Its a five day season and it is very possible that he may not see a bull the entire season. The success rate on this hunt is around 17%. It isn't so low because everyone is trophy hunting and passing up raghorns. The guy wanted honest answers about the general state of the unit. I know it sounds great that a couple of guys feel that they can kill a 350 plus bull in the unit anytime they want if they work hard enough but the reality of your situation, to put it bluntly: If you don't scout and if you don't hire a guide it is unlikely that you will kill a bull, not just a big bull, but a bull. The fact is that in this unit during this hunt you may not even see a bull the entire hunt unless you are an expert caller or are a very experienced elk hunter. My resounding answer to you would be to hire a guide. If you do you will probably post on this board some pictures of the bull you killed or tell us of some great opportunities. If you do not you will be very disappointed in your hunt and we will not hear from you about this hunt again. The kill statistics published by the state do not lie. With Land owner tags included there may be around 40 people hunting during your hunt. 15% KILL RATE MEANS ONLY about 6 PEOPLE KILL A BULL DURING YOUR HUNT total. That is guided and unguided. Of those 6 bulls how many are above 350 inches not sure, but not many? So at the Max maybe one or two big bulls are killed in the hunt. Again statistics are an unfortunate reality in this unit. All Gila units are not equal. 16 A, D and 15 are still on a different level than C. 16 E and C are very comparable. Good luck. Not trying to be mean to you bro, I would really like you to be successful, but be realistic with yourself and make it a great hunt. I 've seen way too many guys real frustrated on this hunt and never want to put in for New Mexico again. It's a tough hunt, put the odds in your favor.

I have to apologize I thought I knew the statistics by heart. I did not. I went ahead and checked. The exact numbers for last year were 75 hunters on the third archery.
There was a grand total guided and unguided of 8 bulls killed on the hunt. The success rate was 12%. If your not a numbers guy it equals low opportunity, low kill rate. In contrast the unit next to it 21A has a 25% kill rate, slightly more than double. Alot of guys hunt the border of unit 21a for Good reasons. Hopefully that steers you in a direction.

If you can't scout then get a guide, even with a guide no guarantee on this one.

I appreciate an honest "accounting" of this hunt and unit. The numbers rally don't lie. I'm going to be hunting with a guide, and I've been shooting my bow as much as I can. I'll be in the best shape I can be, and hunt as hard as I can. I'm working on the factors I can control, and that's all I can do. It is what it is, and thanks to the info I've gotten here, I feel like I now have a good, realistic expectation for this hunt. Hopefully, the weather will be good, the bulls will be rutting hard, and my guide will be a good guy that knows what he is doing. It should beat being at work in any case!

>Here is the problem with all
>the comments. I am certainly
>no guide, but you guys
>are painting an unrealistic picture
>of this Unit. The
>guy is from out of
>state, he has no time
>to scout and you guys
>are making it seem as
>though he will see bulls
>everyday and probably 2 or
>3 350 plus bulls in
>the season. Its a
>five day season and it
>is very possible that he
>may not see a bull
>the entire season. The
>success rate on this hunt
>is around 17%. It
>isn't so low because everyone
>is trophy hunting and passing
>up raghorns. The guy
>wanted honest answers about the
>general state of the unit.
> I know it sounds
>great that a couple of
>guys feel that they
>can kill a 350 plus
>bull in the unit anytime
>they want if they work
>hard enough but the reality
>of your situation, to put
>it bluntly: If you
>don't scout and if you
>don't hire a guide it
>is unlikely that you will
>kill a bull, not just
>a big bull, but a
>bull. The fact is
>that in this unit during
>this hunt you may not
>even see a bull the
>entire hunt unless you are
>an expert caller or are
>a very experienced elk hunter.
> My resounding answer to
>you would be to hire
>a guide. If you
>do you will probably post
>on this board some pictures
>of the bull you killed
>or tell us of some
>great opportunities. If you
>do not you will be
>very disappointed in your hunt
>and we will not hear
>from you about this hunt
>again. The kill statistics
>published by the state do
>not lie. With Land
>owner tags included there may
>be around 40 people hunting
>during your hunt. 15%
>KILL RATE MEANS ONLY about
>6 PEOPLE KILL A BULL
>DURING YOUR HUNT total.
>That is guided and unguided.
> Of those 6 bulls
>how many are above 350
>inches not sure, but not
>many? So at the
>Max maybe one or two
>big bulls are killed in
>the hunt. Again statistics
>are an unfortunate reality in
>this unit. All Gila
>units are not equal.
>16 A, D and 15
> are still on a
>different level than C.
>16 E and C are
>very comparable. Good luck.
> Not trying to be
>mean to you bro, I
>would really like you to
>be successful, but be realistic
>with yourself and make it
>a great hunt. I
>'ve seen way too many
>guys real frustrated on this
>hunt and never want to
>put in for New Mexico
>again. It's a tough
>hunt, put the odds in
>your favor.

Toole, I appreciate the time and effort you have put into downplaying the quality of 16C. Unfortunately, it shows what you and many NM residents know about the unit. Like me, you probably know that there were several 370+ bulls killed in "C" during the course of the 2012 seasons. In fact, more than were killed in 21A over the past two years. While the 21A harvest percentages may account for more animals being killed, the age class of animals taken in 21A is nothing compared to that of 16C. 16C always has and continues to produce mature animals. While it is not a high kill percentage unit, it is a unit outfitters have become famous for killing big bulls off of; both on private and public lands. In fact, if you search this forum, you will see that two out of the largest bulls posted on this forum in the past 6 years came out of 16C. 16C is one of those low success rate, high age-class kill units.

Tough hunt? Yes. Low success rates? Yes. Monster bull unit? Yes. Unit where an untested elk hunter will go home empty-handed. Absolutely.

You also likely know that 16C is currently harboring what could be one of the greatest elk this state has ever produced. I know because I missed him at 168 yards straight downhill last year during a rifle hunt after hearing about him from everyone that had located him from the air. 16C is coming back on the radar for good reason. Big bulls.

-Cody

www.streamflies.com

I hunted the first archery season last year. To put in mildly, the three of us in camp hunted hard for 10 days with not even a single shot opportunity. It was an extremely difficult hunt.

Good luck on your hunt. I think you have made a great choice going with a guide. Hopefully, you are one of the lucky guys who gets a bull. Hopefully you are able to kill a great bull, there are a few big ones, but very few so be realistic and enjoy the beauty of the hunt. Pretty sure the unit isn't on any radars at this point, it is what it is, but I am no expert by any means. Just trying to help you make the most of your hunt. Good luck

T

Having shot opportunity is the key to a good hunt, 75 hunters 12% harvest, BUT how many had shot opportunity. That number could be as high as 50% or as low as 12%.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

not so easy to measure shot opportunity. If you are sitting water you probably have a lot more shot opportunities than running around the forest. The big outfitter up there has a ladder stand on most water holes, but even then the outfitter tags didn't have much higher kill rates than the public, maybe they are holding out for bigger bulls? My experience on the unit, that includes between 5-10 guys hunting over a 6 year time period, is that you average 1 shot opportunity per 5 day hunt. Normally, it takes a bowhunter 4 to 5 possible shot opportunities to connect. I think that is probably the reason the success is low. Don't get me wrong I enjoy the hunt, but the opportunities don't come easy in the unit as compared to some of the other units I have hunted, but there is always a chance and thats why we hunt.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom