Unit 162 - north questions

mevertsen

Very Active Member
I am looking for some information on the elk in the north portion of unit 162. It has been several years since I have been in that country. I plan to apply for cow elk muzzle loader and early rifle this year for the unit, if the details I have will make it worth while for me. I have hunted unit 061 in the past, and 111 for elk as well. 111 and 061 are not out of the question, but I would prefer 162 for fewer people, however I think area 6 would be a bit closer.

I want to be able to find a spot to camp where my wife can bring our daughter in our small SUV. I would likely set up camp for a few days, and my wife would be there from late Thursday to Sunday morning whenever I were able to hunt.

I am thinking in the area of Allison Creek, Wallace, Ryegrass and White Sage Canyon country, north to Summit Mountain and Horse Heaven Mountain to the south. I remember there seemed to be plenty of nice places to camp in there and the road was decent enough, but that was close to 10 years ago now.

Are there elk in that country that would make it worth the trip, or would it require going farther south into Butler, or Table Mountain? I want to avoid the wilderness, as I am not prepared for that.

I have 4 cow points, and don't expect to draw a deer tag for 2 or 3 years now, so I figured I would cash in the cow points now.

Thanks for the help,

Marcial

If you plan to hunt that area and have someone coming with a small SUV, you need to access from the Monitor Valley side. The roads from Antelope Valley are pretty rough and washed out in places.

Wallace area to the north towards Summit and Allison Creek does hold elk in the early season. You will more than likely have to get up on top and look down into Allison or Kelly Creek to spot the elk.

I had the muzzle loader deer tag last year (2014) and there weren't too many people up there. We camped in Wallace right before you turn off the main road to head up towards the top. There are a few good camp spots down low that will be easily accessible by a smaller SUV as long as it has some ground clearance. You can PM me if you would like some more specific information on where to start looking. I know the area pretty well.

Kevin

Antelope road isn't bad now. It's due to be graded again soon. I drive down it every couple days. Allison is the best place with water to camp on that side and easy enough to get into.

Nevada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Currant Creek Outfitters

Nevada, big bucks and big bulls! We hunt for quality not quantity.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

SilverGrand Outfitters

Successfully guiding in Nevada for many years. Mule deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep hunts.

Hidden Lake Outfitters

Specializing in trophy mule deer hunts along with elk, mountain goat, antelope and mountain lion.

G&J Outdoors

Full time outfitter with 20+ years hunting mule deer, sheep, elk, antelope, lion and chukar.

Mountain Man Outfitters

Offering world class mule deer hunts in some of the most productive units in Nevada.

Nevada High Desert Outfitters

Rocky mountain goats, desert, rocky and california bighorn, mule deer, antelope and elk hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

If you want an unguided hunt but can't draw your tags, you need to call us.

White River Guide Service

50 years of guiding experience! Mule deer, elk, sheep and cougar.

Back
Top Bottom