Unit 17 Deer (November)

hunter101

My son was lucky enough to draw a unit 17 tag for Deer this month of November. His hunt is coming up here within the week, however we've had some trouble finding bucks in that unit. We've laid boots on the ground for the southern part of that unit focusing around the Monticello area near the San Mateos. I usually don't hunt this unit and I'm asking for some help. NOT asking for any honey holes or anything. Just some general areas that we can focus on that may provide opportunity. I can provide feedback on other units such as 36 or 34 for both deer and elk in exchange. The area is really rugged and steep in 17 and hard to hike for a 10year old. Just driving up those mountains and sharp curves is yeah... scary for a kid. Any pointers are greatly appreciated!

No Luck unfortunately for my son. We did put feet on the ground and worked the different areas, however we did not spot any bucks or any deer in general. I mean we glassed and glassed and nothing and kept pushing. It was a tough one for sure.

It was a tough hunt. Got there 2 1/2 days early to scout and learn the area. Saw 5-6 deer a day on average. Usually a buck a day, always small. Evening of day 3 I glassed up 3 small bucks and watched them until dark. Morning of day 4 in the same area one of the bucks, with one big fork, popped up. He is now in my freezer.

Thanks to those who offered advice.

64808F4A-ADB0-4C80-BCF9-F4B2B4BCB782.jpeg

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom