Unit 17 January Deer

elkfanatic

I drew a january hunt in 17 and i need some advice for stalking the deer in the open and where to hunt. I only have three days to hunt and i'm definitely not the sneakiest person.

Well the stalking is definitely the toughest part. I have hunted there pretty much all my hunting life, and it can be tough. Use cover and stay with the wind in your face! Go slow, don't push it.

17 has deer all over, and in Jan. shouldn't be difficult to locate a respectable buck. Have hunted it several times and would tell you to spend your time behind the OPTICS until you find something you want to go after, and they should be rutting, so don't be afraid to get a bit aggressive.... Oh yeah, if you can shoot accurately out to 70 yards or so, that will help quite a bit.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom