Unit 17 Rifle Deer 2nd Hunt

5yearcoueshunter

So I hate to be that guy, but really looking for some help here.

I'm looking for any advise on where to find a buck for my cousin. She has the 2nd Rifle hunt in Unit 17. This will be her 5th deer tag and she is still looking for her first buck. She's bagged a cow elk, broken horn Oryx and she got her first Pronghorn this year. I would love to see her get her first buck this year, especially since I know this tag is very hard to pull.

Any help would be much appreciated. I've spent a little time in 17 Turkey hunting but haven't really seen many deer.

Thanks,
Travis

>how is your ewe hunt trip?
>and as for unit 17...try
>Montnicello area...

Ok, thanks Vini. I'll look into that area.

It went well. Been meaning to post story/pics but just haven't found the time. Will do soon.

Thanks,
Travis

I took the kids out there last year for the youth hunt...saw deer every day all day...had my nephew on a buck at 121 but had his scope dialed up to 9x and couldn't find it, tough luck and learning experience...send me a pm, i will look at my map and let you know where we saw everything...

>I took the kids out there
>last year for the youth
>hunt...saw deer every day all
>day...had my nephew on a
>buck at 121 but had
>his scope dialed up to
>9x and couldn't find it,
>tough luck and learning experience...send
>me a pm, i will
>look at my map and
>let you know where we
>saw everything...

That would be awesome. PM sent. Thanks!

I have no help for 17, but, I hope you can find a buck for your cousin.
It is always fun going with new hunters.

I can probably tell you where to not waste her time. When I drew that deer tag I saw a bunch of forkies and some big massive bulls. So I was quite stoked when I drew the bull tag. You guessed it--pretty much the same area, and I saw no big bulls, but quite a few massive bucks...

My family and i have hunted this unit quite a few times. The deer tend to move around according to where the best food sources are that particular year. We have the muzzy hunt this year, so i will share my results with you when we return.

>My family and i have hunted
>this unit quite a few
>times. The deer tend
>to move around according to
>where the best food sources
>are that particular year.
>We have the muzzy hunt
>this year, so i
>will share my results with
>you when we return.

How did the hunt go mossback? The cousin is getting excited with a little over a week to go. :)

It went pretty well. I did not tag out, but had a couple opportunities. Saw quite a bit of deer. My dad did shoot a forkie on opening morning. I will pm you.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom