Unit 17 youth deer

ClarkW

My son will be going on his first big game hunt this fall in unit 17 on the youth only hunt. I have never been in the unit and hoping to get a couple scouting trips in before the hunt at the end of November. I'm wondering if anyone has been on that hunt before and can give me some ideas of where the deer hang that time of year (elevation, vegetation type)? The hunt claims to be a quality, but are there good deer numbers throughout the unit or is it pockety? Any other suggestions for us to start with is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Deer are spread throughout the unit, it's been real dry until just recently but water will be key. More deer on the southern ends of both mountain ranges. There is quality bucks spread throughout. but not a lot.

Most of it is ruff deserting type mountains. But there some pines and easier country in north western parts. Finding a buck the kid should be no problem.

Hunt the rough crusty draws on west side of San Mateo peak. Lots of deer in these steep brushy draws. Super steep. We like just southeast of Kelly canyon.

find the best feed and water and you will find deer. have huntes there a lot and have always had success in the souther portion of the unit. just depends on which side of the mountain gets the most rain.

*We are all in the same boat, just
wishing to be hunting right now!*

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom