Unit 17 youth muzzleloader elk

coyoteslayer

My daughter drew this tag, I am having very little luck finding any information out about this unit. I have an offer to go guided, but would rather not. Live way to far away to do any pre-scouting. What are the chances of us finding elk if we do not go guided? I have hunted elk my whole life, and can usually find elk, but I am getting a little nervous for this hunt. Hopefully, I can check waterholes for tracks and the elk will still be very vocal.

That is a great unit and youth hunt but it will be harder not being able to use a scope. If at all possible I would get a guide unless you have a lot of experience elk hunting. They should be talking then but you can glass elk there. The bulls should still be down but they can get in some rough areas there. If at all possible get a guide it will be worth it in that unit for a great chance at 320 plus size bull.

Hunt all ridges near Pine Tank. West side of San Mateos. Just north of Monticello canyon. Tons of Elk move through this area. Lots of waters the GF placed at the base of a bunch of these draws also. Great coyote calling in there too. Get a bear tag. Tons of bears in there as well.

Thanks for the help everyone. I know it is not going to be easy, but I think it will be a great time with my 16 year old daughter. I am excited for the opportunity. Nothing better then spending quality time with your children in the field. I am a true believer that when you have those kids stuck in the truck with you, you can talk about a lot of life lessons and learn a lot about them. Would much rather watch my kids shoot an animal now, then for me to shoot one. She is my youngest, so only a few more years of being able to put in for the youth hunts for her.

IMG_0918.jpeg

IMG_1794.jpeg

IMG_1848.jpeg

IMG_3144.jpeg

Unit 17 is an awesome unit to hunt. Its a pretty big unit with alot of different terrain. wide open meadow, deep canyons and of course some pretty nice mountains. All of which have alot of elk. As Muleybeast mentioned those are all great areas to check out. Alot of elk cross between units thats seperated by the highway in Magdalena. Monica cabin area is also a great place to checkout although you may find several other hunters in that area. But the Unit is big and plenty of area to hunt. Check out Big Pigeon Canyon if your in the western part of the unit.

I just wanted to follow up on how the hunt for my daughter went. It was a tough hunt. We only heard 1-2 bugles a day, and would maybe see 2-4 bulls a day, mostly small bulls that were all by themselves. Most of the bulls we did see were a ways a way and by the time we got to where they were, we could not find them again. It was beautiful country, rough roads, and in some place super steep. We had a great time, and she finally was able to connect on the last morning. She did great with the hunt, and the pack out. Thank you all that gave us some ideas where to look.

IMG-4982.jpg

Nice job! Nothing like waiting until the last day to give you some time to think about it! Congrats

Would love to get a crack at some NM youth units and dates but like you am running out of time before they all age out.

Congratulations! Good work, 5 days can be a difficult hunt in any unit if the conditions aren't great, good job getting that tag punched!

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom