Unit 18 archery elk

BRUIN4L

Got lucky and drew with the reduced tag numbers. I've been up scouting once and I'm heading out again this weekend. Looked around the 7 Devil's area and picked out a spot to look at deeper. Also went up the 241 road form Race creek. Some decent looking areas and a little gentler country but need to pick out a couple of places to hike into to check out. It was hotter than hell so I didn't really expect to see anything but we saw some cows down low on private property.
My question- are we going to find the elk at the high elevations or are they lower too? I know there is some good hunting from the river in Hells canyon but I won't be able to do it this hunt because of some health issues so I'm interested in knowing about the areas we can access through the road system. Any information regarding the distribution of elk in the unit would be appreciated. We are doing our best to see as much of the unit as we can but it's nice to get a little inside information if possible. Feel free to PM me if you prefer that.

I have killed a couple six points in there with my bow, and several with a rifle.
with fewer tags, you don't HAVE to get way off the roads. Don't get me wrong there will be elk way off the roads, but there will be elk near them as well. both of my archery bulls i accidentally killed above the a road and under 1/2 mile.... I say accidentally, because i never really intended to do it. I have access to horses and know the unit well. I had every intention of going in big. I did go way in as my buddies had tags as well. any way killing a six point in that unit above the road is pretty nice, especially in sept weather...
the snake side in archery would not be my first choice. ofcourse there are bulls in there, but you dang sure got to have your stuff together to get at them and really together to get them out.
most of the areas you think look good will likely hold elk. they can be quiet, more so than you might think.

What Arrow said! The early archery in there is nice as the elk will not have been pushed to the end of the earth.
You've already been up into some good areas that are worth some time. Elk in both areas, just need to find them.
The road systems up there will dictate where you hunt, unless you want to head for the wilderness. As you've seen, some places right off the road are a serious No fly zone unless you're a high rigger logger with a half mile of hay wire. ##### gets steep fast.
Mid mountain is key during rifle season once they get pushed around, as there's pressure from top and bottom. But during archery I think you'll be ok.
If it looks elky, there's a chance they'll be there... But if you don't see fresh sign move on and don't waste your time. Years ago the wolves would push them around a lot, but I'm not sure what it's like now.
Glassing is fine in there, but you tend to look down on the animals...Waay down. I've found it easier to get into them by hiking timber and if they are talking you'll be good to go.

It's a fun hunt, but can be very challenging.

good luck!

I suggest you do what hunters are supposed to do and HUNT. I am so tired of out of state hunters or transplants wanting to drive down a road and at the end they expect to find a B & C bull or deer tied up to a fence post. Get off your four wheeler and hunt. Don't expect others to do it for you. :)

>I suggest you do what hunters
>are supposed to do and
>HUNT. I am so tired
>of out of state hunters
>or transplants wanting to drive
>down a road and at
>the end they expect to
>find a B & C
>bull or deer tied up
>to a fence post. Get
>off your four wheeler and
>hunt. Don't expect others to
>do it for you. :)
>

Thanks for the input. This is a hunting forum to talk about hunting and share experiences and ideas. I have been scouting twice and plan on doing it some more. I don't have a 4 wheeler and I hunt my a$$ off when I can during the season. This year is going to be tough for me for personal reasons so I'm going to be limited on what I can do-hence looking for a little guidance. Maybe get off your sanctimonious soap box and read my original post.

Tinehunter what do you this forum for? Do you just take information that others provide, from the confines of your closet, and don't give anything in return? The original post was legitimate and well intended. Give a little and maybe you might get something in return - or quit wasting your time here.

exactly! think its time you move on!

whats funny about the 4 wheeler comment is almost every ID rig in 18 has a quad in it!

LAST EDITED ON Aug-20-19 AT 07:36AM (MST)[p]Which would be about every 1/3 rig anymore.......the remaining 2/3 of the vehicles read UT, WA, OR, CA........with that said I've spent time on the Hells Canyon side, which can be productive but so unforgiving its unreal. Most of the elk I ran into on the Salmon side were half to 2/3 of the way up in the timber pockets. Top gets hit fairly hard with all the access. If you're after quality pony up and try the Hells side. Good luck.

Out of state plates must be tourists heading to 7 Devils? All elk hunts are controlled in 18. Only Up to 10%..for nonresi. Found a few decent bulls last year on the Salmon side ..Very quiet rut, called in 2 wolf's.. BH1

funny you say that about tourists. Unit 18 is one that I have found that has an exceptional number of non hunting traffic in it. It seems to me Much more than other areas. Not just out state tourists either, wood cutters, actual grouse hunting, cowboys, ATV riders etc... there is a lot of traffic in there that is not actually trying to kill a bull. There is even a fair number of local folks just out calling at elk and glassing or what not.... I think the elk are kinda used to it and don't blow out of the areas just because somebody is tooting a bugle on the road. I have noticed however that the elk can be surprisingly quite in there...

The 7 Devils Road is also the jump off point for a lot of trails into unit 23. Lots of the Subaru crowd during the summer months.

>The 7 Devils Road is also
>the jump off point for
>a lot of trails into
>unit 23. Lots of the
>Subaru crowd during the summer
>months.

+1 on this. I've seen a lot of tourist/hikers on the road heading up to 7 Devils on our scouting trips. I've found a couple of spots to focus on and have seen some animals. I'm hoping for a very vocal September lol. I want to thank the people who have pm'd me with some suggestions. It's helped understand the unit more. I'm heading up for one more scout this weekend.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom