Unit 2 Dec 1-5 cow elk

muzzletim

I have not hunted this unit before and am going to start scouting. Sure would appreciate some suggestions. Some friends hunted Carracus Mesa and had very good luck. Whats everyone think?

Also am trying to think what town would be closest for a motel? To old to rough it anymore!!! Haha

The only motels are in Bloomfield which is around a 45 min to 1 hour drive from the forest road to Caracus. Also a motel in Dulce which is about a 30 min drive.

A antlerless youth elk hunt is going on at the same time in Unit 2 (Dec 1-5). I think there is approx 50 youth tags and 100 regular rifle tags that will be in Unit 2 during that 5 day period.

No doubt, I would target the very NE corner of 2B. We have always done very well in getting into elk up there during that time of year.

My big brother works through out unit 2. Give me a buzz and I'll help line you out. It's a great unit and December is PERFECT time to hunt cow elk there , it plum loads up with elk, you'll do just fine ...myPHONE NUMBER IS 505-771-8779 Larry Garcia

You could stay at the motels on the river. Abes is one. Closer to the elk than Bloomfield or Dulce.

Several elk are killed opening morning right off of 64 from LaJara to the Jic line is a good opening morning hunt.

I drove up from Albuquerque and spent the day scouting, ended up mainly up by Caracus Mesa,I seen alot of Mule Deer both dead and alive. (12 dead bucks being hauled out by hunters and alot of alive does) Didn't see any elk but found alot of sign. I tried to cut across from Dulce to the Carson, soon found out that their is no acess through the Jicarilla. Bummer means alot of driving. Pretty country but really alot of actived by the gas companies. A security guard told me that they had to be out of there by November 6. Well I appreciate all the input and will let you know how we do.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom