Unit 2 Deer 2nd Season

63Badger

LAST EDITED ON Nov-01-19 AT 06:13AM (MST)[p]This is the buck I was fortunate enough to take in Unit 2 the Second season. I am sure there are much larger ones in the Unit but this was the best that I saw and am very happy with it.

26105colorado2.jpg

80colorado20191.jpg

I am very appreciative of those from the Monster Muley site that reached out to help make this hunt one I will remember for a long time. As I spoke to different ones that sent p.m.'s I had shared that this hunt would not be about inches of horn but of the experience of being where I would have low hunting pressure and reasonable chance of a quality deer hunt. By quality I am not just talking about the animal I am hunting but the other sites that I could see such as elk, antelope, wild horses and other wildlife. I was not disappointed in the very least with any of this.

For any that are considering this deer hunt in the future I can only echo what I had been told. Be prepared to cover some ground, glassing and walking. Be mentally prepared to see a handful of deer a day at best and enjoy your surroundings.

I will be happy to share everything that I learned on this trip and feel that I can probably help future Elk Hunter better than I can deer hunters since I saw far more of them than I did deer.

Thanks again to all that shared there thoughts with me. I hope that I can pay forward the kindness extended to me.

Good luck to all! 63Badger

I spent over 40 days in 2 this summer and that is about as good of a buck as we saw the entire time. There are very few bucks in 2 bigger, some but as you know there simply are not many deer period.

Hunting unit 2 is more about the overall experience than the score. Great buck IMO and a part of the world not many get the chance to experience than you did.

"Courage is being scared to death but
saddling up anyway."

Nice score! You did well, congrats.

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com
@mm_founder on Instagram
LIKE MonsterMuleys.com
on Facebook!

>LAST EDITED ON Nov-01-19
>AT 06:13?AM (MST)

>
>This is the buck I was
>fortunate enough to take in
>Unit 2 the Second season.
>I am sure there are
>much larger ones in the
>Unit but this was the
>best that I saw and
>am very happy with it.
>
>
>
26105colorado2.jpg

>
>
80colorado20191.jpg

>
>I am very appreciative of those
>from the Monster Muley site
>that reached out to help
>make this hunt one I
>will remember for a long
>time. As I spoke to
>different ones that sent p.m.'s
>I had shared that this
>hunt would not be about
>inches of horn but of
>the experience of being where
>I would have low hunting
>pressure and reasonable chance of
>a quality deer hunt. By
>quality I am not just
>talking about the animal I
>am hunting but the other
>sites that I could see
>such as elk, antelope, wild
>horses and other wildlife. I
>was not disappointed in the
>very least with any of
>this.
>
>For any that are considering this
>deer hunt in the future
>I can only echo what
>I had been told. Be
>prepared to cover some ground,
>glassing and walking. Be mentally
>prepared to see a handful
>of deer a day at
>best and enjoy your surroundings.
>
>
>I will be happy to share
>everything that I learned on
>this trip and feel that
>I can probably help future
>Elk Hunter better than I
>can deer hunters since I
>saw far more of them
>than I did deer.
>
>Thanks again to all that shared
>there thoughts with me. I
>hope that I can pay
>forward the kindness extended to
>me.
>
>Good luck to all!
> 63Badger

Glad to see you found a nice deer. I noticed you were willing to talk about some of the elk you saw. I have 29 points and have good chance to draw next year. I spent a couple of days in unit 2 doing some scouting this year oct 10 -12. I saw some elk but actually saw more deer than elk surprisingly. No deer as big as the one you shot but a couple of nice ones and quit a few smaller ones. I did most of my scouting around Walker Ranch. We did look around a lot on the blm one day though. Didn?t see many elk though. Around 10 years ago we did the same thing and saw some good bulls everyday. Not this year though. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. I would also be glad to help anyone out that might have some questions about unit 2 from my 2 scouting trips there.

Thanks BowWow

>
>This is the buck I was
>I am sure there are
>much larger ones in the
>Unit but this was the
>best that I saw and
>am very happy with it.
>
>
>
26105colorado2.jpg

>
>
80colorado20191.jpg

>
>make this hunt one I
>time. As I spoke to
>I had shared that this
>hunt would not be about
>inches of horn but of
>a quality deer hunt. By
>quality I am not just
>sites that I could see
>very least with any of
>this.
>
>deer hunt in the future
>I can only echo what
>I had been told. Be
>of deer a day at
>
>
>this trip and feel that
>saw far more of them
>than I did deer.
>
>hope that I can pay
>me.
>
>Good luck to all!
> 63Badger

LAST EDITED ON Nov-01-19 AT 06:13AM (MST)[p]This is the buck I was fortunate enough to take in Unit 2 the Second season. I am sure there are much larger ones in the Unit but this was the best that I saw and am very happy with it.

View attachment 70233

View attachment 70234

I am very appreciative of those from the Monster Muley site that reached out to help make this hunt one I will remember for a long time. As I spoke to different ones that sent p.m.'s I had shared that this hunt would not be about inches of horn but of the experience of being where I would have low hunting pressure and reasonable chance of a quality deer hunt. By quality I am not just talking about the animal I am hunting but the other sites that I could see such as elk, antelope, wild horses and other wildlife. I was not disappointed in the very least with any of this.

For any that are considering this deer hunt in the future I can only echo what I had been told. Be prepared to cover some ground, glassing and walking. Be mentally prepared to see a handful of deer a day at best and enjoy your surroundings.

I will be happy to share everything that I learned on this trip and feel that I can probably help future Elk Hunter better than I can deer hunters since I saw far more of them than I did deer.

Thanks again to all that shared there thoughts with me. I hope that I can pay forward the kindness extended to me.

Good luck to all! 63Badger
Nice buck congrats! How wide was he? Guessing 27+??

>
>This is the buck I was
>I am sure there are
>much larger ones in the
>Unit but this was the
>best that I saw and
>am very happy with it.
>
>
>View attachment 70236
>
>View attachment 70237
>
>make this hunt one I
>time. As I spoke to
>I had shared that this
>hunt would not be about
>inches of horn but of
>a quality deer hunt. By
>quality I am not just
>sites that I could see
>very least with any of
>this.
>
>deer hunt in the future
>I can only echo what
>I had been told. Be
>of deer a day at
>
>
>this trip and feel that
>saw far more of them
>than I did deer.
>
>hope that I can pay
>me.
>
>Good luck to all!
> 63Badger

Glad to see you found a nice deer. I noticed you were willing to talk about some of the elk you saw. I have 29 points and have good chance to draw next year. I spent a couple of days in unit 2 doing some scouting this year oct 10 -12. I saw some elk but actually saw more deer than elk surprisingly. No deer as big as the one you shot but a couple of nice ones and quit a few smaller ones. I did most of my scouting around Walker Ranch. We did look around a lot on the blm one day though. Didn?t see many elk though. Around 10 years ago we did the same thing and saw some good bulls everyday. Not this year though. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. I would also be glad to help anyone out that might have some questions about unit 2 from my 2 scouting trips there.

Thanks BowWow
Curious did you ever draw your elk tag?

He was 26-3/4” I know he isn’t a trophy for many hunters but I was and still am happy with him. The whole experience was great.
Awesome sounds like you had a great time!
I’m thinking about the 3rd season for unit 2 trying to burn 23 pts! Lol. Best of luck on your draws this year!

I’d probably take those 23 points elsewhere if I were you. Unless you enjoy looking at a lot elk and very, very few deer.
I know the deer numbers are down and I don’t necessarily have to see a ton of deer as long as the chance of seeing a really heavy old buck is there to be found. I realize this can happen in any unit but this area has the genetics and way less pressure than most other units like the gunnison basin etc. most have doe, buck , cow and bull tags going on all at the same time and makes it that much harder at times. So many factors involved. Lol any suggestions? Pm sent

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom