Unit 21 3rd season buck

PonoHunt

Unit 21 is a tougher hunt than I thought it was going to be. I was told this unit was down, and it will be tough to find big bucks, and they were right. It was easy to find bucks, just the big ones were tough to find. I had as many as 6 guys at one point in the unit looking for bucks. There were a couple good ones on Utah side, but they wanted nothing to do with CO side. Be very realistic if you are going to waste 12 points on this hunt. Have your expectations set to what this hunt really is. You will find 1 - 3 good deer in a week of hard hunting, but will see thousands of deer. Plan on paying trespass fees to get access to private and to some better BLM. It is a good hunt, but just set your expectations before going. Be ready to hunt for 7 days and eat a tag if you think you will shoot a 190"+ deer.

PonoHunt

8703douglas3.jpg

Here is Pic

Love his mass PH! I'd be happy with him.

eg

campfire2.gif
"A man can be hard to find in the mountains, but you're welcome at my fire anytime."

Alot of the units down right now and this year was a tough hunt with weather and temps. You did well and great post to let people now what to be realistic in finding. Yes there is always a few exceptions in ever unit.

Great buck PH ! Thank you for sharing your success and also for providing an accurate hunt report. We appreciate your time. Congratulations, those are really nice harvest pictures.

Hey, Dude
I wouldn't be disappointed with that buck. Like someone said, looks like nice mass. Thought about hunting there a couple times just because of the publicity but I never will. Got other plans. BTW if you don't mind me asking what was that bucks inside spread. Thanks,Zach

Very cool buck, congrats!

"You will find 1 - 3 good deer in a week of hard hunting, but will see thousands of deer."

I'd say that would be the case in most units these days, except maybe the thousands of deer part.

Doesn't sound like a waste to me . . . Nice buck, you saw lots of deer, and you got to go hunting in some great country. That's all points will do for you. Don't be fooled by the magazines. 190+ deer are not a guarantee anywhere, not even on the AZ Strip!

I work in the unit and your right. My brother had a second season tag and got a decent buck for what we saw anyway. CDOW is not doing 21 justice. 400 total deer tags for this year. There are big bucks but not many. I'm for taking a idea of citing tags for a couple years and limit 2nd season tags a lot. I seen more deer in second season than 3rd. Bad luck with weather. Know CDOW more tags will be given next year cause more deer but thats just cause winters aren't that bad the last 2 year. O ya give more lion tags out and all you coyote hunters there's many here. Let the bucks get mature!

Great looking Buck, like the mass.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

>Hey, Dude
> I wouldn't be disappointed with
>that buck. Like someone said,
>looks like nice mass. Thought
>about hunting there a couple
>times just because of the
>publicity but I never will.
>Got other plans. BTW if
>you don't mind me asking
>what was that bucks inside
>spread. Thanks,Zach

I hope no one took my story that I am disappointed in the hunt. I harvested a buck with a ton of character/mass and most importantly I got to hunt a full week hard with my Dad. We covered a ton of ground and really just didn't see a lot of really mature deer. That is probably what I would say I was disappointed about was that I didn't get to look over a lot of mature deer. There were thousands of bucks, but its not always about the harvest, I think its fun to watch and look over mature deer. Just didn't see that.

I am mostly relieved that my points are gone and the pressure is off. Who would of thought having 12 PP for an animal would be that stressful. I will be cashing in my elk pts this year, antelope the year after and will be happy with hunting the 0-2 PP units again (that is where I have been scouting and going lately anyways). Not a fan of the true PP system as it puts a lot of pressure on guys when they cash 12-20 of them in. Fortunately I shot the deer of my lifetime the year before, so there wasn't a lot of pressure. If I had not, than I likely would have been disappointed in 21.

Just want to make sure guys know that its not a true DIY hunt if you want to look over the biggest and best bucks in the unit. Going to cost you a trespass fee to get to the biggest bucks.

>
>
>I am mostly relieved that my
>points are gone and the
>pressure is off. Who
>would of thought having 12
>PP for an animal would
>be that stressful. I
>will be cashing in my
>elk pts this year, antelope
>the year after and will
>be happy with hunting the
>0-2 PP units again (that
>is where I have been
>scouting and going lately anyways).
> Not a fan
>of the true PP system
>as it puts a lot
>of pressure on guys when
>they cash 12-20 of them
>in. Fortunately I shot
>the deer of my lifetime
>the year before, so there
>wasn't a lot of pressure.
> If I had not,
>than I likely would have
>been disappointed in 21.
>
>Just want to make sure guys
>know that its not a
>true DIY hunt if you
>want to look over the
>biggest and best bucks in
>the unit. Going to
>cost you a trespass fee
>to get to the biggest
>bucks.

I felt the same relief when I finally was rid of 17 elk points. I thought you would be crazy telling someone that there is pressure having so many points, but it is so true! great buck!!!!

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom