Unit 21 A New Mexico elk Sept 15 to 24

labby1

My son and I drew this archery tag. Anyone hunt it before. Allmost all gila wilderness. Looking for some help.

Hum , might want to review the map again. No wilderness I'm aware of , but lots of steep , rough terrain. My Bro and I drew it (1st hunt) as a 3rd choice and feel Blessed to be their chasing them...yeah. There are elk without a doubt and when hunting pressure heats up they move to where people aren't . Get in shape my Freind .

It looks like it almost all Gila Wilderness. Must be a reason it is all public. To nasty to be private. Nobody wanted to settle there back in the day. I can't seem to find much on 21 a elk hunts but no shortage of info on the 16 c,e,b,a

LAST EDITED ON Apr-30-15 AT 08:01AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Apr-30-15 AT 07:39?AM (MST)

It's The Aldo Leopold Wilderness is part of it,rest is mostly FS.
Narrow,steep,rugged,lotsa critters.....get a map.

the southern part of the units western edge is in the Aldo Leopold Wilderness...the unit is steep, dry and not many elk compared to other parts of the Gila...the unit can frustrate the hell out of you...they are there but you will need to work for them...I have areas where i know i can hit and be in the elk within 30 minutes of leaving my jeep but it has taken numerous scouting trips and miles of hiking to know where they like to hang out...i love this unit but haven't drawn in 4 years now...this year i will be in 21B in another little area i have found that holds elk...good luck!

I will get maps ordered. I hope to get a summer trip in but coming from MN is a long ways. The kid has a new job so he will be short on time. I will most likely drive myself and pick him up at airport to save 2 days drive so he can hunt more. Sounds like it is ruff country. We will need some luck to get on elk early in the hunt.

Opps...my bad southern part does have AL wilderness . We don't get down that far south normally. It's the Gila and Big Bulls live there, just much tougher to get to them and much more importantly getting them out in a timely manner if you tag one.

Sounds like we may have access to horses. it is just odd if you ask about any of the 16 units there are tons of posts but 21A does not hold much info in the archieves

labby...i think it is important to remember the 16's are prime elk units, some of the best in the country which is why there is so much information available about them and why they are so hard to draw...21A is on the "edge" of the Gila and there are not many elk but there are some big bulls there...it is easier to draw than the 16s because the number of elk in the unit is much less...you really need to work to learn where the animals like to hang out or where to find them...i think it's an awesome unit and i love hunting there but i haven't drawn a tag in 4 years now...i will be in neighboring 21B trying to get an elk on public land which is even harder because most of the elk (and their habitat) is on private...the one thing i can not stress enough is to get in really great shape...run and get on a stair machine to get you ready for what you are in for...

My wife drew 21a for elk as well. We will be hunting the first part of September though. We have heard it is a good unit for elk. Planning to do our first scouting trip this weekend.

Saw some cows this passed weekend. We were only able to hike about 45 min before a rain/snow storm hit. So we got out. Planning to go back next week. PM me for more info/updates.

MGM

Lots of nice bulls pass through 21 on their way to 17. Couple years back I saw 7 separate bulls on a muzzy hunt in 21. 3 of them probably 330+

I hunted the rifle season in this unit a few years ago. My buddy and I killed two six points in the wilderness. Just six points; nothing special.

In speaking with the locals, I think the elk we killed were probably in a totally different location during the rut. I was told where they supposedly were during archery season. I can tell you what I learned, but it's not a ton.

Excavator

if it's anything like the Albuquerque area it has to be really green...the west mesa is a sea of green which i have not seen in years...im heading down to Elephant Butte this weekend and might try to take a quick drive up to Winston...will let you know...

Labby...I was down in 21A/B and the neighboring units two weekends ago and everything was greener than green...grass everywhere...i haven't seen the unit that good in years...when are you coming to NM?

Same news here. Been in 21A the last few weekends and going again this weekend. Tons of green grass as tall as your waist in some areas. Good for the animals, not necessarily good for walking around.

Pumped to leave Friday as my brother and I have the 1st hunt in 21A. I know the unit has had lots of moisture but haven't heard if they had the gully washer rains that actually fill the tanks. I guess I'll find out soon enough but just curious. Thx Jim

we leave on sunday cant wait. I will start hunting the 15th to the 24th or hopefully we are both taged out sooner!. Sounds like the grass is unreal and water is everywhere. Makes it tuff for afternoon water sits but I would rather chase em and call them in anyway!

Labby, good luck...when I was out there 3 weeks ago it was really green everywhere but not water everywhere...I wish I had that tag because I know it will be fun...do you know where you will be camping? I am heading out on the 17th and will be hunting 21B but most likely camping in 21A. FYI, I will be in a white jeep patriot with a safari rack on top so if you see me flag me down...

Friend of mine hunted last weekend the elk were up real high very little bugling but that can change fast good luck

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom