Unit 21 - Deer

H

hbdawg

Can anyone give me an idea about what to expect from this unit as far as deer go? I cannot seem to find much information at all about this area for much besides elk. We are hunting private land and the Gila.

Thanks in advance.

Not very many deer left in 21.

Drought and overhunting has hurt the public land in this unit.

Last years combined success was onlt 14%

Hopefully they will cut tags way back for a few years and try to get it built back up.

There are some bucks, just do your homework through glassing.

If you are on good private land there should be no problem, Most ranchers do a pretty good job of taking care of the deer.

Thanks for the feedback. We have access to a fair amount of private land. This is my first hunt in NM and I have had a difficult time finding much information about this area. Should I consider buying a bear tag as well?

Its kind of a large unit. What general area are you going to be hunting? I've hunted in the areas near Winston. Saw deer every day but nothing real big.
-Raptor

It is north winston. I have been told that there a some big deer in this area but just not a lot of them. We'll see i guess. We are hunting with an elk outfitter but doing a dyi deer hunt out of his camp. Any suggestions?

There is some nice country near Winston. Based on what i've seen in those parts, a 160 class buck would be very good. I wouldn't expect to see anything above the mid 170s. There are exceptions of course. I'm just basing my opinion on what I've seen there.
-Raptor

LAST EDITED ON Jul-25-07 AT 11:09PM (MST)[p]
I agree with Raptor, I'd take a 150-160 from that country given the chance. Although there are a lot of trashy bucks and one year I checked a forkey and a 3x3 that both had double drop tines in that same area. You'll be a lot better off on a big piece of private than most are used to in that unit, too bad we don't have a better system for desemminating harvest data so you could figure out what the private land success rate is.
timberlinebanner2.jpg

http://www.naweoa.org/mod.php?mod=userpage&page_id=15&menu=1500

Thanks for all of the information. I have had a terrible time trying to find out anything for this area. My dad and I are not really trophy hunting but just looking for a nice mature deer (the bigger the better!).

Nice buck! Is that typical for the area? How about the terrain? I expect the Gila to be much more rugged but the ranches look more rolling/open (at least from the maps).

Did you see any bears?

If you are on a good ranch hunt hard and hold out, it is below average, If you cannot hold off it is above.

Score was 169", 28" wide. this buck had degenerated for some reason so we took him out. The year before he was 30" two eye guards and more mass, No crab claw. Approx 5 years old.

Left one in his place 31"wide, good definition, heavy mass, 11 points, Guess score 192" I am in hope that there was some serious breeding going on! Was hard not to shoot him.

My wife took one over 188" three years ago.

The public lands are a whole lot less, But there are always some good ones out there.

Good Luck.

My dad and I picked up a couple of leftover muzzle tags for this unit. I've heard there is alot of private property on this unit. We will get out before the hunt to scout and try to find a nice place to camp. Hope to just see a few deer to keep the hopes alive. Will pick up a map soon. Any other suggestions as to where to scout would be appreciated.

Thanks, WD

That muzzleloader hunt is pretty good. Not alot of deer but some , and my buddies also picked up 21 January bow hunts. If I can shoot a buck now in September , I'll be there in January with em...The foothills right before Winston are pretty good , but they are bigger than they look and after climbing them a time ot two , you realize just how big and steep they are. Taco thats a dandy buck ....

NMHUNTNUTT1,

Thanks for the info and encouragement. We will get out and check out the whole unit. Does anyone know of any ranchers that will except a trespassers fee to hunt on their property. Just trying to cover all bases. Thanks again.

WD

It wouldn't hurt to ask.

I have knocked on a lot of doors and have been rewarded.

It is getting harder these days.

If nothing else, they might point you in a good direction !

Just don't get discouraged.

For those of you that say there aren't many deer left in 21, you need to leave the truck and get out and glass. I have hunted this unit ever since I came to college at NMSU (7 years ago)and have been successful every time I've drawn the tag. There are a group of us that specifically put in for this unit for this reason: No one thinks there are deer around, and espcially anything with any size. If you get out and look, you will be very suprised at the number and quality of deer you'll find. Sure, finding a 180+ buck doesn't happen that often but, like anywhere else, they are around. Last year on my buddies muzzleloader hunt we saw 10 bucks on the first day. Over 20 different bucks in a 3 day hunt. On my rifle hunt I saw 8 bucks the first morning and ended up harvesting a very nice 3x3. All of this is far South, about 45 min from Las Cruces. If you can find a ridge with Juniper or tall mesquite with water near by, there will be deer around...trust me. My goal is to take one with a bow this year. I missed twice with stick and string last year and finally opted for my rifle. I've hunted near Kingston a bunch also. Same thing applies. We saw lot's of deer but spent tons of time glassing. Nothing particularly huge, but lot's of nice desert mulies. You definitely don't need to be on a private ranch to harvest an animal down here. Just excercise your chevra-legs and use your optics...I think you'll like what you find.

I have lots of photo's of great bucks from this unit.

Cannot get them to download they take to much memory?

47e0639d5b3c6473.jpg

How I find them.

Hope you enjoyed the photo's All unit 21

My new camera has to much resalution can't get them to down load the new stuff.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom