Unit 21 deer

How was the hunting in 21 this year?Went there in 2010 2nd season saw a lot of small bucks but no monsters.Thinking about going back maybe next year.
Any info would be appreciated
Gary

I helped my son hunt second rifle deer on gmu 21. He tagged one on fourth day of the season, after looking over about 25 bucks. It was a fun hunt for both of us, but it seemed like there were still a lot people looking for one they could be happy with on the fourth day. I just missed drawing the 3rd season tag for GMU 21 this year with 19 points, but not sure if I want to drop my points on this unit next year. Maybe. Sort of wish we had hunted longer to see if it got better, but we were both happy for the one he got and others seemed to think he did okay even though it was not a monster buck. I think a lot of people would say the same as you did in 2010, but maybe it got better toward end of season this year. You can pm me if you have specific questions or want more details.

I helped my son hunt second rifle deer on gmu 21. He tagged one on fourth day of the season, after looking over about 25 bucks. It was a fun hunt for both of us, but it seemed like there were still a lot people looking for one they could be happy with on the fourth day. I just missed drawing the 3rd season tag for GMU 21 this year with 19 points, but not sure if I want to drop my points on this unit next year. Maybe. Sort of wish we had hunted longer to see if it got better, but we were both happy for the one he got and others seemed to think he did okay even though it was not a monster buck. I think a lot of people would say the same as you did in 2010, but maybe it got better toward end of season this year. You can pm me if you have specific questions or want more details.
Thank you so much for the info.How many points did it take to draw?I have 8 and my son has 9 looks like we might apply next year for it.
Gary

With the late season dates the next few years, I'm guessing you will need more points than 7-8 to draw. Only time will tell.

i was just in 21 3rd season, looking for next year, spent a week there and never saw a buck over 165, maybe 170, and that was just one, saw guy shooting 3 points and small 4's to fill the tag on Friday. I wouldn't waste points on it anymore, it has gone down hill. Just my opinion.

With the late season dates the next few years, I'm guessing you will need more points than 7-8 to draw. Only time will tell.
I think in a unit that gives quite a few tags it will be pretty close to what it was in 2021. Almost everybody put in so I don't think more people are going to put in in 22 that didn't put it in 21. Just my opinion.

I can’t help but think that eventually after everyone “burning their points”, the across the board point creep will stop. I can see it in individual units when someone finds a few unicorns. Maybe not.

I can’t help but think that eventually after everyone “burning their points”, the across the board point creep will stop. I can see it in individual units when someone finds a few unicorns. Maybe not.
Oh no point creep will never stop. Sadly it is only going to get worse. Everyone that burned points is now at 0 with 2 options, low quality units which increases point creep or save up again and hope. Both of which will drive more point creep.

I think that season dates only play into a small fraction of the point holders minds. Thing like work, time off, Eric’s there are thousands of guys just buying points because they might hunt someday. As a result the point creep will just keep heading up.

Oh no point creep will never stop. Sadly it is only going to get worse. Everyone that burned points is now at 0 with 2 options, low quality units which increases point creep or save up again and hope. Both of which will drive more point creep.

I think that season dates only play into a small fraction of the point holders minds. Thing like work, time off, Eric’s there are thousands of guys just buying points because they might hunt someday. As a result the point creep will just keep heading up.
Then the only thing we can do is tell everyone on the internet how bad things really are. Everyone needs to stop posting pictures of CO trophies.?

I think it was at least 7 or 8 in 2021, but the cpw website has all the data.

I’m pretty sure it took 8/9 points to draw GMU 21, 2nd season this year.

We had a group of five that drew in a party app. We went 5 for 5 during our hunt. No monster bucks. But we had the young adults with us in their first mule deer hunt, and first CO hunt, and they had a blast. So did us two Dads. ?

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom