Unit 21 elk and deer

gundog2

My son has a unit 21 deer tag for second rifle season so I was wondering if it would be worthwhile to apply for a leftover bull or cow tag in 1st rifle season to make camp, get lay of land, and do some hunting myself since I do not have any other big game hunts this year? We are nonresident so the cost of the elk permit is significant for me, but I don’t mind eating a tag if there is reasonable chance of at least seeing some elk that are not camping on private land etc. I know it is not an easy elk hunt, but it seems like success rates are not terrible in the first rifle season? I drove the highway 139, once, but otherwise not been on this unit.

I have hunted unit 21 for deer and elk, the only thing i can tell you is , it is hit and miss, water is a big problem out there if it is dry, the wild horses suck, You will probably not drive around and see elk, you have to know where to look, the unit is big, and lots of roads, and the elk move around alot.

The eastern part of that unit had some fire damage last year and that is not a bad thing IF there was any moisture this year. It is now in severe drought conditions. Water will be the key. I would suggest getting BLM and Forest Service maps and ONX. This is going to be a tough hunting year all over western Colorado. Good luck and have a good time. Bring money we need it ! Ha.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom