Unit 21 - Muzzleloader Elk

toolmann

Trying something new this year. Bought a muzzleloader to get our earlier (my wife doesn't do archery) as we normally do 1st or 2nd season rifle elk in another unit, and see some new country. We're Colorado residents. Will have either sex or cow elk tags. Plan is to set a base camp and will also have our backpacking stuff to stay a night our two further from the road (and people). Have been pouring over OnX and have some places to scout. First scouting trip will be early May to also look for sheds. I know the country is rough and steep. We'll be as prepared as we can. Wanted to see if anyone had info to share. Not looking for exact spots, maybe just to confirm the places I've chosen to start looking and share what they are willing. We are meat hunters. If we see a big bull, great. If not we're more than happy with whatever we're able to harvest.

Thanks in advance. If you're more comfortable sharing through private message that works too.

Tim

21 can be tough for elk, never been there during muzzleloader season, but i have hunted it a lot during rifle season, and the elk in 21 are scattered. It is hit and miss, cover a lot of country, and find some water holes away from the horses and look for sign. 30 might be a better bet for you, some steeper, higher country in there. just my thoughts.

Thanks, twobears. One of my old nicknames is "two beers", so when I read your username quickly it made me chuckle. We're definitely going to check out some spots in 30 as well. Water holes and tanks are on my list of things to find. Been trying to zoom in on OnX to find some but haven't located any yet. I'm sure the "creeks" have a tendency to be pretty dry by September.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom