Unit 21 Rutting activity

kmontez

We are going out on the January bow hunt in unit 21, has anyone been out and seen any rutting activity? We will be out in the north end of the unit.

Kirk

Deer should be ripping during the rut in 21. As a reminder, The North end of 21 is almost all private land, there are low numbers of deer, trespassing is a huge issue, and if you are not hunting the National Forest, you only have a few thousand acres to hunt on. If you come across a fenceline it is private land and this land is all guided on and/or patrolled. The public non-National forest is not fenced. Cross fences in the North end of 21 and you will be busted. Don't mean to be short, but as usual, this year has been a wonderful year for us busting trespassers in the North end of 21. VERY VERY Little public land in North 21 that is HEAVILY hunted most every day by a bunch of locals from the Alamo area from September through who knows when...bear/deer/elk/anything moves season is a serious deer limitting factor here. It's sad but there is a camp of "deer hunters" from the Alamo/Magdalena area on the little bit of public land here that manages to elude the Fish and Game in N 21 yet trespasses and poaches damned near 3 months straight every year and has done so for many many years. Thanks to bear tags these guys hunt every day of the fall season...and absolutely pound the deer on private and public land in this area. When I asked a couple of the guys I busted this year what the hell they thought they were doing they said "well, we didn't think anybody knew we were in here and we've been doing it for a long long time, it's just where we hunt..." I don't meant to put a damper on your hunt but this is an area that is out of control due to very little public access, too many hunters, and which the F&G seemingly cares nothing about.

Dang man way to put a damper on things, sounds like you are advertising some pretty negative stuff up there... With some luck we will get into to pretty good stuff. I have been to the north end and have not ran into anything as bad as your advertising, actually been pretty successful with a rifle in the past. ITs good to know the bucks might be out looking for some action. First time with a bow for deer so thats my new challenge.

No worries man, I pm'ed you some more info. Just a lot of trespassing and not much public land outside of the National Forest in the North end of 21. -Cody

I am just excited to see how it is in january. I hear you see deer you would normally not see. I got my binoculars with a camera on them.

pm'd you cody.

The poaching problem is real. and I agree with Elktrout there are WAY to many tags issued for this unit. When asking Pat Mathis in Cruces he says the deer are fine?

If that's the case why is the success rate so low and everyone that i have spoken to very dis-appointed ? I would like to see them lower the amount of pressure by half for a few years. If we keep taking kids up there hiking for 5 days to only see a couple of doe's and a spike they will lose interest. This also forces them to take chances to tresspass the private lands since public land is so badly managed.

The tresspass laws are changing next season I'm sure that a lot of tickets are going to be issued.

The last count that they took of mule deer in 21 had 1800 deer counted with 2,400 tags issued?

I have been hunting unit 21 for 20 years, Private as well as public.

Dipped down to 15% success rate couple of years ago. I'm sure that has improved since they started killing forkies again.

Sorry I forgot to say that they are in good rut now. lots of broken horns. But some nice ones starting to show.

To bad about the poaching, i hope they catch those suckers.. Its good to know maybe since the rut is going we might see some action. Never hunted January I don't really know what to expect. Hopefully we can get on a few bucks and make a few stalks..

Kirk

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom