Unit 21

silverstem

How’s the deer numbers this year ? Anyone seeing any good bucks , or are the numbers that low in that unit also? I had to turn my tag back in due to a broken ankle and won’t be hunting this year …

I've seen a few bucks in the back of pickup but nothing special. Report from south of town is fewer deer being seen than normal and larger numbers of hunters than other years. Lots and lots of hunters in town.

I've seen a few bucks in the back of pickup but nothing special. Report from south of town is fewer deer being seen than normal and larger numbers of hunters than other years. Lots and lots of hunters in town.
What town are you talking about ?
I hunt a little north of grand junction The rancher said winter didn’t seem really bad down there I guess I’ll find out here soon enough.

What town are you talking about ?
I hunt a little north of grand junction The rancher said winter didn’t seem really bad down there I guess I’ll find out here soon enough.
In Rangely. Rancher is correct in the southern part of the unit and towards GJ with different wintering groups. The north part took a beating.

Dad was there for the whole season with some family friends who had buck tags who applied for them even after we advised them not too… ended up killing one 170ish type deer and the others went home empty. Typical unit 21… decent numbers of 2.5 to 3 year old type deer and very very very few mature age class deer… the ship sailed there 10 to 15 years ago.

Dad was there for the whole season with some family friends who had buck tags who applied for them even after we advised them not too… ended up killing one 170ish type deer and the others went home empty. Typical unit 21… decent numbers of 2.5 to 3 year old type deer and very very very few mature age class deer… the ship sailed there 10 to 15 years ago.
Sad I was hoping to go there next year

Sucks that was the hunt I was waiting for. Sitting on 12 points and don't know where to put in. Probably throw a dart at the map and just draw something next year

Last edited:
If you guys want a solid chance at a 140 to 150 inch buck, unit 21 is for you…. It’s a tough hunt any more if you’re after 4 year old or older bucks…

Todd

Thats what I've heard from everyone. A 140-150 unit definitely isn't worth the points it's taking in my opinion.
Can't speak on this area in particular but take the doom and gloom with a grain of salt. Most the guys killing big deer aren't talking about it allot. You'll always hear more bad then good cause the guys not killing chit have allot to say. Colorado's worst areas are better then some wyo areas that take alot of non resident points

Started roaming unit 21 at 1:00am this morning, on through daylight and into the early afternoon… saw an easy 50 bucks, very likely more. Saw a single bull in the headlights and a herd of elk at dawn… biggest buck rutting does was a trash 3x3 that was a glorified 2 point… probably a 28” buck and ugly as can be spreading his seed like Nutella. He was mature but wouldn’t bump 140”, not even close. I usually see a 170-180” buck just in traveling…. Not even close to that this year. The numbers are still okay but very lacking form a decade ago…. the age class just isn’t there. Call that doom and gloom from a guy that doesn’t kill chit, but it’s honest. Unit 21 is a great place to come slay 140” bucks….

Todd

If you want a bruiser, take a serious look at the eastern plains. It's nearly all private. You will likely either need to know someone or possibly hire an outfitter. The better outfitters likely average 180+ bucks that are harvested every year.

The better outfitters in Eastern Colo limit hunters and they don't have to deal with over harvesting of older age class bucks like the Western 1/2 of Colo!

If you truly want a bruiser muley or whitetail it's still worth burning high points rather than burning points in Western Colo where older age class bucks are becoming fewer and fewer each year that the rut rifle dates are open. Unless you can find private land in an area where bucks can age in Western Colo you may be very disappointed. Obviously keep winterkill in mind. The Gunni Valley and NW corner have been hammered by horrible winters.

Personally, I would rather burn my points on a unit with potential and lots of public land, and go spend a lovely season hanging out with myself, than go spend lots of hard-earned dough and have another person hold my hand as we look over multiple monster mulies....

Deercy, thats about what we did. Saw around 100 deer a day, ended up with this modest 4 pt. My son is 6'3" 240, so it's not tiny We've hunted Kremmling area last 12 years, and deer numbers have gone in the tank. Got this buck tested at Hot Sulfur Springs. Ran into 2 dudes from Cali hunting that unit 3rd season and they had seen only a couple does in 4 days. So, despite not getting the hugest buck, had a really fun hunt way better than years past
rangely buck 2.jpg

I was in 21 second season, and didn't see a buck worth shooting, most guys were shooting little 3x3 and i did see one small 4x4 taken. Not worth the points.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom