unit 23/24/33 whiteriver south question

C

chase4545

I have a archery tag for unit 23/24/33 and was wondering how pressured the units get during muzzleloading season (Sept 12th ->) if anyone has exp in this area. I looked over the quotas for muzzleloading hunters and it looks like there are 100(bull) and 100(cow). I'll be out and about with a bow (quota 1050) (Sept 6 -> Sept 20th) and want to know if a trip further in (3-4 miles) when the muzzleloading starts is a good idea? Thanks in advance.

If you have any tips for a beginner Co. out of stater please pm me. Thanks

I also have that tag and I have spent allot of time on the phone with Fish and Game and forrest service and from what I have learned is that from about the 12th on there will be more pressure up in the Flat Tops and around all the drop camps as the rut begins to peak. The good thing about this tag is that yea sure there are 1050 other archers and a couple hundred muzzleloders alloted to be there but it is quite a large area and compared to the White River North tags there are considerably less four-wheeler trails and if you are willing to hike you can get away from the majority of other hunters. How many other hunters are in your group?

I'll have one friend coming out from ny. I'm coming from Wa. I mirror your sentiment on the hunter density and packing in. Since this is my first trip out to the area I'll be nervous until I get out there on the afternoon of the 6th. I am so stoked to do this trip. I have both a elk tag and a mule deer tags for those areas along with my buddy. I just hope the mule deer numbers are there with hard winters over the past couple years (2006/2007) in the area.

I have huned 23/24 alot of times over the years.There is alot of hunting pressure no matter what season you go but you can find good elk hunting thru out the units.I see alot ofhunters at the trail heads ,but once I am back in hunting I hardly ever see another person.Some hunting pressure can be good.There maybe lots of hunters ,but also lots of elk!

I hunted 23/24/12 North and the experience I've had is there are elk everywhere and not always in the back country. Couple of years ago I hunted this unit, spent all my time in 24 North of the north fork. Found lots of elk right on the face of the Mtn. Started my hunt the last day of the Muzzy season. Don't know if this was why they were there, always thought muzzy hunters pushed them to the front edge from the back country. Of course big herd and lots of elk every where. Go later and call in a bull daily.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom