unit 23,24 and 33 archery elk and deer

The whole area has good elk populations,lots of National Forest to hunt and heavy hunting pressure. It is difficult to predict exactly where you will find elk at a specific time months ahead.

I would suggest not packing in unless your really looking for a true back country type of hunt. Typically where you can hike far in will also have outfitters as well. Instead I would look at random places that you can get to with a 1 hour hike. Be very mobile and move around a lot until you find elk. I know several people who have packed way in and never got into elk because the elk were someplace else. On the flip side I know some guys who really run and gun a lot and eventually find elk. Both has merits, but if your real familiar with the country it would suck to pack in a day or 2 only to find out the outfitter has the waterholes tied up and the few elk around have moved off.

Just a thought. U might be surprised how many elk actually live within 1-2 miles of a road in that unit and how everyone drives past getting to the good spots.

>I would suggest not packing in
>unless your really looking for
>a true back country type
>of hunt. Typically where you
>can hike far in will
>also have outfitters as well.
>Instead I would look at
>random places that you can
>get to with a 1
>hour hike. Be very mobile
>and move around a lot
>until you find elk. I
>know several people who have
>packed way in and never
>got into elk because the
>elk were someplace else. On
>the flip side I know
>some guys who really run
>and gun a lot and
>eventually find elk. Both has
>merits, but if your real
>familiar with the country it
>would suck to pack in
>a day or 2 only
>to find out the outfitter
>has the waterholes tied up
>and the few elk around
>have moved off.
>
>Just a thought. U might be
>surprised how many elk actually
>live within 1-2 miles of
>a road in that unit
>and how everyone drives past
>getting to the good spots.

We are definitely looking for a backcountry hunt but we plan on being were the elk are hopefully if its a mile in or 10 miles in we are not opposed to hunting a mile in of thats were the elk are so be it. Are goal is to tag out so where ever they are we wanna be. Thanks for the info!
>

Keep me posted how your hunt goes. I drew a muzz tag for the same GMU's. I hear there are some nice elk in that area.

>I would suggest not packing in
>unless your really looking for
>a true back country type
>of hunt. Typically where you
>can hike far in will
>also have outfitters as well.
>Instead I would look at
>random places that you can
>get to with a 1
>hour hike. Be very mobile
>and move around a lot
>until you find elk. I
>know several people who have
>packed way in and never
>got into elk because the
>elk were someplace else. On
>the flip side I know
>some guys who really run
>and gun a lot and
>eventually find elk. Both has
>merits, but if your real
>familiar with the country it
>would suck to pack in
>a day or 2 only
>to find out the outfitter
>has the waterholes tied up
>and the few elk around
>have moved off.
>
>Just a thought. U might be
>surprised how many elk actually
>live within 1-2 miles of
>a road in that unit
>and how everyone drives past
>getting to the good spots.
>

Very good info here.

I have rifle hunted unit 24 a few times and it gets real crowded.Archery or muzzleloader are the only way I would go back to that area. You should have a good hunt as there are a bunch of elk that call the area home.Stay mobile to find them as they may move do to hunting pressure.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-08-13 AT 11:42AM (MST)[p]My experience is that it gets real crowded in archery and muzzy as well. Be prepared for lots and lots of hunters that are in the area for a week and blow the hoochie mama or bugle every 30 seconds... When I lived in Glenwood Springs I hunted it a couple of times for archery and will not be back as there are much better units you can draw out there with one or two points and the otc units in the area are just as good.

Good luck but be ready and have a plan to use other hunters to your advantage as unless you pack in you will see and be around other hunters on every hunt.

I still get a left over rifle cow tag in that area every year and get a cow most years as if you know where to sit the masses of other hunters push the elk right to you.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-09-13 AT 12:38PM (MST)[p]>LAST EDITED ON Jul-08-13
>AT 11:42?AM (MST)

>
>My experience is that it gets
>real crowded in archery and
>muzzy as well. Be
>prepared for lots and lots
>of hunters that are in
>the area for a week
>and blow the hoochie mama
>or bugle every 30 seconds...
> When I lived in
>Glenwood Springs I hunted it
>a couple of times for
>archery and will not be
>back as there are much
>better units you can draw
>out there with one or
>two points and the otc
>units in the area are
>just as good.
>
>Good luck but be ready and
>have a plan to use
>other hunters to your advantage
>as unless you pack in
>you will see and be
>around other hunters on every
>hunt.
>
>I still get a left over
>rifle cow tag in that
>area every year and get
>a cow most years as
>if you know where to
>sit the masses of other
>hunters push the elk right
>to you.
>
>we are packing in so we are hoping to get away from thw majority of the 2 to 3 mile hunters.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-09-13 AT 03:28PM (MST)[p]You probably will no get away from other hunters.A couple of my friends took a drop camp durring muzzleloader season in 5.5 miles on horses and found other hunters camped with in one mile on each side of them.But they still took a couple of bull elk out of there.

>LAST EDITED ON Jul-09-13
>AT 03:28?PM (MST)

>
>You probably will no get away
>from other hunters.A couple of
>my friends took a
>drop camp durring muzzleloader
>season in 5.5 miles on
>horses and found other hunters
>camped with in one mile
>on each side of
>them.But they still took a
>couple of bull elk out
>of there. Thanks for the heads up were looking at 7 or more miles to start and will probably end up being way more by the end of the trip depending on location of the animals

I agree with what everyone else has said....I have hunted these units 4 times and won't go back. We had the area we hunted pretty much to ourselves until the DOW had the "Hunt the Largest elk herd in North America" marketing campaign! Our experience prior was 1 or 2 locals at the trailhead. In 2011 there were literally 40 vehicles parked at the trailhead. PM me if you like and I might be able to give you some good info.

Roger Burton, SMSgt
179th AW Fire Chief
Ohio ANG

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom