Unit 23 elk

F

Firsty

Me and my dad are thinking about putting in for this unit and would really like to talk with someone who has hunted there lately. I have to talked to the BLM office and called the game warden but haven't been able to get ahold of him yet. We are not really trophy hunters just looking for a good place to go for a decent branch antlered bull. We would probally get there for the opener if drawn and hunt for the first 7-8 days. If anyone has any info to share it would be appreciated. (PM's would be appreciated) thanks

A lot of the elk end up in Snider Basin on spano's ranch as soon as the shooting starts. They patrol their deeded grounds throughout the season. Can be a great hunt if you have time to scout, can handle back pack type hunting and are proficient with a GPS. Otherwise you'll be driving a wheeler around on some of the public ground like all the other guys out there hoping to stumble onto a bull that hasn't made it over to spano's property. Most of the access on the other ranches seems to be limited to friends and family...

the ranch trpple bb is talking about is the q creek and its owned by a walmart heir. spano ranch is the dimond ring in the rattlesnakes, and he died with one of the nicolasians about 5-10 years ago in canada in a helicopter crash and he used to herd the elk to his place with a chopper, his daughter inherited the land and they sold it last summer to someone from back east and frank shepperson runs the ranch at the moment. as for area 23 look up q creek ranh and see what they charge becouse your best chance at a 380 bull is on there place. but it will probale cost over 5000 dollers to hunt.

moseley middleton

i'm sorry but i miss reas you post i thought you said shirly mts not snider basin.but the info on the diamond ring is correct due to me knowing the son of the old ranch manager prior to the sale and him being fired when they sold.

Thanks for the replys guys, I ended up appying for a different unit. I didn't like the idea of having to deal with all the private and the fact that thats were the elk would be after the first shots start to ring out.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom