Unit 24 Cascade area

nvguy2

LAST EDITED ON Jul-25-19 AT 06:52AM (MST)[p]I was hoping I could get any advice on this area. My wife and I just bought a piece of land right outside Donnelly. I haven't had the opportunity to hunt it or Idaho at all. I love to hunt Elk,Deer and also Turkey. Would love any help in area such as population, success, private property, where to maybe start my efforts. I don't know anybody in the area and will be going in blind. Won?t be likely hunting there until next year. Any pointers/suggestions/help is appreciated. I do Archery, Muzzleloader and Rifle hunting. Keep all options open, but prefer Archery.

Some guys do well there. With it being only 85 miles from Boise, I don't personally hunt it. Last year it had 984 archery hunters, 684 more than my threshold. I was there last week and saw deer and elk, but you'll have to find your honey hole to get into them during season. Good luck.

Guess I better start looking. I heard a lot of people come up from Boise area. Thank You for your response Dan. Good luck this year to you!!!

Have only hunted that unit for 2 weekends. Tagged along with an archery tag holder in 2015.

We got into elk all 4 days, not many, but about 1 encounter a day. They were vocal.

Scout and find 5 places holding elk in the summer. Expect 3 of them to get blown out from other hunters. Easy access throughout much of that unit, and as mentioned above, due to proximity to Boise.

Yep,TW knows what's up. But as a local if you can keep a solid grasp of hunter and elk movements in your 5 spots, you can do great. You?d need to be spending some real time in your place though or you'll be in the same boat as the Boise guys.

Or just forget hunting and slay the fish on Lake Cascade. I caught some nice ones there recently.

Funny you mentioned the fishing. I'm looking at getting a boat and will probably have one in time for next year. That does sound like a good time too. Thanks for the input guys. I appreciate it!!!

I have had a cabin in Cascade for a few years now.

I used a couple summers to scout for deer and elk. I've hunted mostly other units for 15 years.

First I founds some promising spots, but most where timber company lands that got sold to some fellas from Texas that closed all that land down. There's still a fair amount of public available, but you have almost 2x the pressure now.

I'm sticking with all my other areas for now. Maybe when I get older I'll stay closer to home per say.

I just this year bought a boat and am working on figuring the lake out. It truly has a lot of options for fishing. If you are a novice fisherman like me, then Horsethief Res will help build your confidence as those trout are hungry all the time.

Brian

Yeah, think those Texas brothers name is Wilks. Thought that might put a hit on that area. Was thinking that West Mountain area might be a good place to start looking, but wasn?t sure if there were better places to start. Thought I heard someone mention that Round Valley area too, but wasn?t sure. Maybe I'll see you on the Lake Brian. It will be next year before I can fish it now. I got a Archery hunt in Utah in 3 weeks then roll right into a bunch of hunting at home in NV clear into December. Good luck fishing man. Went to Horsethief one time a few years back. Cool spot. Thanks for everyone?s replies!

I too bought in Idaho. 3 hrs north of Boise. Weekends are overrun by Treasure Valley folks. Think I'll sell and go another 3 hrs north.. BH1

Grew up north of there, it's gotten really busy....The archery elk zone is popular. I have a hard time driving through there on the weekends and keeping a smile on my face, guess everyone has discovered what I've always enjoyed. Deer hunting is tough, elk hunting is so so...good luck!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom