Unit 24 Elk

WITUfan

Here is my situation. My Dad and I have put in for Unit 24 for the past few years with max points. We haven't been lucky enough to draw. My Dad kind of got back into hunting later in life and is now in his 60s. He has killed a bunch of whitetails and turkeys in the past 10 years and we have gone on one antelope hunt together. He has had some health issues the last couple of years, although with a little extra working out he should be good for this hunt. We want to do an elk hunt together and he wants to go sooner rather than later. I think the health issues really have him thinking about time. So, we are planning to pay the extra money and enter the special drawing this time. This will be a first elk hunt for both of us.

I settled on 24 a few years ago because it looks like an area with good success rates, lots of bulls and it shouldn't be too physically demanding for him. Understand he can still hike and get around, but I plan to do the heavy lifting on packing a bull out, etc. We aren't really looking for trophies. He will probably shoot the first bull he sees. I plan to be a little more patient, based on what I find when scouting, but don't need a monster to be happy. We plan to come a little early and scout for 3 or 4 days and hunt for about a week. We live a long way from there, so that is our only option. I would like for both of us to have success, but I really, really want him to get a bull. Although I don't like to think this way, being realistic and knowing that he is slowing down physically, I am concerned this might be his only elk hunt. It is very likely to be his only one with a limited entry tag.

My question is, am I completely on the right track with 24? Most of my research is a couple of years old and I wanted to make sure there haven't been any major changes there before I put down the money for the special fee.

Thanks in advance for some advice!

If you guys draw let me know I can provide plent of info! Our family and friends have drawn that tag plenty of times. Good luck in the draw.

We hunted it in 2011 and 2012. My son had it one year and my wife the next year.
Scouting we found 4 to 12 bulls a day. About 5 or 6 avg.
the biggest bull we saw scouting was a 320 type bull.
Both hunters shot 5x6's Longest pack out was a mile down hill.
Lots of elk talking, the bulls were screaming on the opener.
If you draw,send me a message and i will give you what i have on the unit.
We will never draw it again.
Jk

There are several other threads on this forum about 24. I posted pics of our hunt there in 2013, and several others posted as well. If you are looking for a nice hunt with lots of bulls you will do well. If trophy quality is all that matters, than look elsewhere. A reasonable expectation is 300 inch bulls, with some better and some worse.
Bill

Looks like the OP will probably draw 24 with his max PPs and with the help everybody is offering can probably do it DIY and get what he's looking for. Good luck!!!

Yep, sure sounds like you have a great match for you and your dad.
Have fun and shoot a couple bulls, then COME BACK AND POST YOUR STORY AND PHOTOS!!!! We'd love to see/hear your adventure!
Was I clear enough? Haha
Zeke

Thanks for all the advice and offers to assist with information. I will be in touch when (if) we draw. Let's just hope the draw odds don't change.

Zeke, I will gladly post a report and some pictures. Hopefully, there will be some dead elk in the photos!

It sounds like I am on the right track here. I really do appreciate everyone's willingness to help me out!

Posting about units for reassurance, and hearing what you want to hear prolly aint a good thing to do,if you want to draw it that is,cuz you aint the only one thats reading it.Most of the better elk units have so few NR tags it only takes a few guys to jump in and you're screwed.

Glad to hear your going special, I've tried to draw 24 on the special before..still got my points(yes,the max amount). Lots of guys talking about 24 on the forums that year tho, good luck!

Thinking bout putting in for 100. Draw odds are tough and I mainly want to hunt with a bow. Do you think 24 would be a better option for a bow hunter as 100 is mostly open country?

Thanks to all for the input on this. Dad and I talked about it a long time and since we were planning elk one year and antelope the next, we ended up putting in for the regular draw and we didn't get this tag. We would have gotten it in the special. Maybe we should have gone ahead, but that is a lot of extra $$ for us. Oh well, unless something strange happens with the odds, we should be able to go antelope hunting anyway!

Again, thanks to those willing to share info and help. Maybe in 2015!

LABBY.......AS I LEARN MORE I MIGHT BE ABLE TO HELP. RES OR NON RES./ HOW MANY POINTS DID IT TAKE...........THANKS......YD.

>
> LABBY.......AS I LEARN MORE
>I MIGHT BE ABLE TO
>HELP. RES OR NON
>RES./ HOW MANY POINTS
>DID IT TAKE...........THANKS......YD.

Non resident. He had max points 8 going in.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom