Unit 27 help

T

Texasdeerhunter

Friend of mine drew a unit 27 elk tag finally after 6 years of tring. We were going to start scouting in july. Wanted to see if anyone Had any good starting places they wouldnt mine sharing with me to get started. Not looking for anyones hot spots just some starting points. Thanks for the help.

im pretty familiar with 27 and have hunted it alot, wat tag did ur friend draw?

TexasDeerHunter.....I drew the Unit 27 Bull archery tag for September. I'll be up there over July 4th and will PM you some info when I get back. I have my own spot but can give you some ideas. Have you checked the unit reports on the AZ game and fish website?

Phinkle... No i Havent checked the unit reports but i will do that thanks. Let me know how it goes up there we are going up the following weekend around july 10th. But any help would sure work out. We ordered some maps of that unit also. Was just woundering if their were any road that come in from the New Mexico side?

LAST EDITED ON Jun-23-08 AT 05:02PM (MST)[p]PM Sent and here is a pic of my last bull.

elk2.jpg

We hunted the late rifle last year in there, and this year we have a early 27 rifle bull tag....e-mail me with your email address and I can see if I can help you out a bit.

?We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect.? Aldo Leopold

Phinkle....That is a very nice bull. My buddy would take that in a heart beat.

alwayzbhuntin... How did u do last year in that late hunt? You all should do great in the early rifle hunt that will be awesome. How do i send u my email address?

We done well on that hunt, the only bad part was the weather went bad in a hurry. Up above my post you will see four icons, click on send e-mail or private message, and that should do the trick.

?We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect.? Aldo Leopold

Check out www.trophyoutfittersonline.com

They have some pictures of some bulls that they took in Unit 27 last year.

Right now there is a fire (Hot Air Fire) going on down off the rim. I would bet that in the area of the burn will be a pretty good spot in November. There was also a good burn last year just to the north of the Hot Air Fire. It will probably take some hiking but the area should hold some bulls. Really anywhere in 27 will take some hiking, there isn't many roads and it can be unforgiving country. I had a buddy take a 380 class bull on the same hunt last year.

Good luck on getting a Toad, there are quite a few in there.

Any news on the fire in 27? How far from Hannagan is it? I know its south but how far?

I hunted Hot Air canyon in 2005 for late rifle bull. I camped at sheep saddle and took the trail down into hot air and Eagle Creek. I hunted hard for a week looking for a 360 class bull that was in there earlier in the season and could not find him.
There will not be many bulls down there unless there is alot of snow or nasty weather up on the rim.
Your best bet is to hunt off the rim down the ridges into the canyon country, find a good spot before daylight and setup and glass the ridges for feeding/moving elk.
The country down lower does not hold as many elk, but there are some, and it takes alot of scouting to pattern these elk, trust me on this one.
The Chitty burn from last year may be a hot spot. Hot air canyon is very thick and brushy and that is probably why they are doing a burn.
I hiked the full length of Hot Air all the way up to Rose Peak. 2005 was unseasonably hot and a full moon and it was hard hunting down lower, and It took me a week to figure out the elk movement and by that time the hunt was over, I am waitng patiently for my next Unit 27 tag.
Be physically prepared. Unit 27 can kick your butt in a hurry, but the possibility of a good bull is good. Good luck!

LAST EDITED ON Jun-25-08 AT 08:19PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Jun-25-08 AT 08:13?PM (MST)

LAST EDITED ON Jun-25-08 AT 08:11?PM (MST)

4862f9ed549d6f0f.jpg

Here is a photo of Hot Air canyon taken just west of Rose Peak looking down toward the East Fork of Eagle creek. 12 mile hike that day. What looks like a mountain in the distance is the Mogollon Rim.

Snapshot.... Thanks for the info. We Have started working out and have been told this is a hard hunt. But we are up for it. Thank you for the help we can use it all. Thanks jake...

Great country , I was in there 2 weeks ago... You are in for a fantastic hunt! Rugged country is the only way to go!

4865b1ee1bf7c4dd.jpg

AzCoues

LAST EDITED ON Jul-01-08 AT 04:13PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Jul-01-08 AT 04:11?PM (MST)

486aab8850ec04be.gif

Here is a photo taken from Blue Lookout just off of highway 191
The ridges that you see coming off of the rim is a good place to look.

TExasDeerHunter - Saw multiple bulls in the unit, many of them would go over 330 with a couple pushing 380. My dumb arse forgot to charge my camera for the trip so no pics..... :-(. Did you get a chance to get out over the 4th?

Phinkle... No we are going to try and get up there this weekend i hope. Thanks for the info sounds like u had lots of fun.

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom