Unit 29, Dos Cabezas

There is no secret about access into the Dos Cabezas. The only true access is from the east side. The road takes you into a ranch back in a canyon of the mountains. We hunted this area two years ago and saw a lot of Mule deer with a few Coues. There is also access from the south up a road toward the cellular towers but the road is locked about 1/3 way up the mountain. We actually contacted the property owner, who seems to own most of the property around the base of the mountain, to ask permission to hunt on his property but we were denied. We got pretty frustrated with this mountain and actually hunted down in the southeast corner of the unit near Geronimo. Hope this helps.
ArizonaGriz.

Thanks ArizonaGriz. I am interested in the road on the west side through Dos Cabezas. There is a gate through the Klump property that usually is locked but last time I was there it was torn down. Just wondering if it was put back up?

Klump is the owner of the property that we contacted. We also tried to find access from the north and northwest but to no avail. All I can tell you is that if I were you I would not hunt on his property without getting permission. I have heard of some horror stories with regard to Klump. Actually the road from the east side would be good to hunt if you backpacked in and stayed overnight. We hunted the October hunt and didn't have enough time to pack in. You might want to check out Skeleton Canyon southeast of Geronimo. More hunters than I would like but there is some good looking country.
ArizonaGriz.

Dont hunt skeleton canyon if you are in 29 that area is part of 30a this may be to late sorry

hey guys, hate to tell ya this, but dos cabezas ain't in unit 29. it's in 30a. both the mt's and the little town of that name. you'd think it would be, but the road that goes south out of the town of bowie is the border line between these 2 units, not the paved road that goes through the town of dos cabezas. and the klumps are the wierdest bunch of crazies you ever wanna deal with. they own very little land but try to lock up townships. they've been in a lot of trouble over it. at one time they kept a huge part of 28, 29 and 30a locked up and didn't own but a small fraction of what they had gated. few years back the BLM brought in a bunch of cowboys and rounded up their stock and threw em off of most of "their" land. be careful around em, especially the oldest kid and the ol' man, if he's still alive. think he finally croaked. i could go on for days about these guys. anyway, it's great country and there is a lot more access than you're thinking. but it ain't in 29. so make sure you have the right tag.

RLH, Sorry about that, I knew that it was in 30a but typed 29 for some reason. Everyone I talk to tells me some crazy story about the Klumps. The game warden (forgot his name)even told us some stories. Years ago I used to go to the old mans house and listen to him ramble on for a few hours and he would give us the key and permission to go through the gate and hunt the property behind it.
I hunted the area this January and saw that the Klumps put up a fortified gate. It was torn out a couple years ago. Someone hooked a chain up to it and pulled it out.
RLH are you from Wilcox? Ed F

i was raised in the gila valley. most everything the klumps had locked up for years was public land. they were so crazy about it that even the cops were afraid of them. i think the ol' man croaked a few years ago, but he has at least 1 kid that is bad news too. they've really been hammered the past few years by the feds for over grazing, locking up public land and one of em got in a bunch of lacey act trouble. he had parts of several jaguars that apparantly he'd killed, and some other spotted cats, like margays and ocelots. took an undercover agent on a desert bighorn hunt, with no permit. stuff like that. it's a long wierd story for sure when it comes to that bunch. i have a good friend who is actually friends with em! he just laughs at em. i don't think they're near as dangerous as they were at one time. they've been pretty well bankrupted and beat up by cops of one form or another that they keep a low profile.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom