Unit 2B info

Eastwood

I hunted this unit in 2010 with a muzzy tag and in 2011 with a rifle tag. Well, thankfully I got drawn again for a muzzy tag. Since I haven't been up about three years, can I get an update on the unit? Such as rainfall, oilfield activity and anything else you may like to add. Maybe some deer pics from some of you successful guys. If you hunted this unit in the last three years how was your overall hunt? I hunted second rifle that one year and they had not had snow in Colorado yet. Would it be safe to say most of the deer I saw in the northern part of the unit at that time were resident deer? Thanks for any help.

yes, it still sucks, just like in 2010. It isn't a snow issue in colorado. Dates are too early, the unit is over hunted. My recommendation would be to turn the tag back in, if you could. But you can't so just have realistic expectations. It is no longer a trophy unit!

100% agree with the above post - 2B is over hunted and season dates are too early. 2B is no longer a trophy unit!!!

Be realistic expectaions on your hunt and enjoy the time. Next year apply for 2C, buy a Jic tag or one from the Navajo Reservation if you want better odds of a trophy in NM!

TRC

Oh, I'm very realistic about the trophy situation. Actually my group is not concerned with getting a trophy. My dad and his hunting buddy, who are in their upper 60's just want to go out west hunting before they are too old to do so. They don't even care if they shoot a deer, we can each shoot five where we live in central Texas. We just like the change of pace. When I hunted 2nd rifle in 2011 we saw lots of bucks, dead and alive, but we only hunted north of 64. In 2010 we only hunted south of 64 and I was the only one that got a shot. This year our plan is to start north of 64 and see how that goes. My dad hunted west Texas for years and his favorite thing to do is glass canyons for hours. It's the thrill of the chase for him. Thanks for ya'lls input.

The muzzleloader hunt is a tough one. Looking for resident deer in 2B was quite the challenge when I went a couple years ago. The nice thing is that there are still some good bucks in there but nothing like it was many years ago.

As you know if you get rain the roads turn to sh!t in a hurry.
either camp close where you can walk to hunt or chain up all 4 tires. Good thing about the roads being wet are they quick to dry also with a little wind. I would sit on water every day morning and evening during a September Hunt. Glass the canyons during midday break from sitting water. The more remote the water the better. IMHO. Good Luck hope you find a true mossback.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

i have a friend that hunted 2b the last two years with muzzle loader. they were three for three two real nice heads in 2012
last year they were two for two with a couple of six pointers. one was twenty six inches. they won't tell me where they go but I did get a muzzle loading tag this year. they said I can go with them this year.

I had the 2nd rifle tag in 2B 2 years ago(wow that was a lot of 2's) and it was a blast. I would see anywhere from 50-75 deer a day. Mature bucks were definitely few and far between but ended up killing a slammer on the 2nd to last day.(another 2) PM me and Ill tell you what I was able to discover. Heres the video of my hunt...

http://youtu.be/Aj3Fa_y1qyw

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom