Unit 3 or Unit 12

silverstem

I am looking at takeing my wife on her first elk hunting trip.I have been researching unit 12 first season or unit 3 fourth season.We were thinking about a bull in unit 12 and a cow in unit 3, in your opinion which unit do you think?We haven't hunted in either unit.Be willing to exchange info we have hunted in unit 7,8,21, and unit 49. P.M. if you would like....

The only problem I have with unit 12 is the crowd of hunters.Lots of elk but also lots of hunters.Very popular unit.I have never hunted a fourth season,but what I have read,it all depends on the weather.
Good luck with your decision.

I've hunted both elk and deer in 12 and deer in 3. Elk habitat is more limited in 3 although you plan to hunt it in the 4th season when hopefully, you'll get some migratory animals. In 3, you'll have to really pick your area as the elk won't be everywhere. The public lands just north of Maybell have a fair amount of resident elk. I really like that 1st season in 12 for a good chance at a bull. You can find them just about anywhere once you get above the sagebrush only elevation.

Unit 12/24 are crowded though, which can either hurt your chances or help move the elk. Depends how far you want to walk to get away from the hunters in 12.

Thanks for the reply guies, after researching both units, unit 12 has a better sucess, but alot more hunters,well I guess we will just flip a coin and hope for the best...has anyone archery hunted these units???

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom