unit 30 1st vs. second hunt?

wallhanger

Hi guys- I'm curious about your opinions on the first hunt vs. the second hunt in unit 30. In most states, the later the better, but it seems that there's more demand for the earlier hunt in this area. Any insights as to why? Is it because they're resident deer and it's best to get after them before everybody sends them running for the deepest canyons? Or is there another reason? Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

WH

This is just my opinion and nothing more.

Unless you got some pretty good intel unit 30 is a pretty tough unit to find a decent deer on public land. Not sure it would be worth a long drive.

Basically, G&F keeps these bucks pretty well killed off. Success rates are not particularly good in either season.

That is why first season most would hope to get first shot at them.

Weather this far south rarely affects these deer hunts. Expect blue sunny days and deer are not normally moving that much more in the second season as the first.
Just my opinion.

Kind of what I thought. Thanks for the response, Paul. I take a little solace in thinking that maybe those giant rattlesnakes down there might be more apt to be denned up by the second hunt. I think some of those things must be cross-bred with pythons.

Appreciate the feedback.

WH

We saw the buck of a lifetime in 30 this year while barbary hunting, on public land. 28" wide thick 5x5 w/a 10" handlebar droptine. They are there, but after getting shot at so many times they know how to hide!

Come on Paul they give half a million tags out for that unit it has to be crawling with deer no matter what hunt. j/k

From what I am hearing from that area tags need to be cut way way back or even closed for a couple years. Although there are few units like that in NM currently.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-06-13 AT 03:32PM (MST)[p]>Come on Paul they give half
>a million tags out for
>that unit it has to
>be crawling with deer no
>matter what hunt. j/k
>
>From what I am hearing from
>that area tags need to
>be cut way way back
>or even closed for a
>couple years. Although there are
>few units like that in
>NM currently.

There are a few hammers in several of these SE units, but, that does not mean you sell 2000+ tags to try to kill every legal buck in the unit.
We are nearing the point of no return in this unit for mule deer. Hope someone wakes up soon. Was not to impressed with unit 22 either.
Cross the northern border to CO and you can see 50+ deer a day hunting.

Yeah agreed. The deer herds are in bad shape and hopefully they realize very soon. Lots of units have went way down hill since they implemented the draw.

For the 2012-13 season, they allocated 3800 deer tags for the unit not including private land deer tags. Game management at its finest!

>For the 2012-13 season, they allocated
>3800 deer tags for the
>unit not including private land
>deer tags. Game management at
>its finest!

Unreal!!!!!

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom