Unit 30 antelope

iowabuck

Hi -- I drew a Unit 30 archery antelope tag. I'm excited about the hunt but have never laid eyes on the country. From my maps I can see there is a lot of public land I need to start narrowing down. At this point I'd appreciate any kind of overview of the unit that you guys with experience might be willing to share, including information on the general population distribution, the nature of water sources, etc. What are the drought conditions like there now? Thanks.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-13-11 AT 03:32PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Jul-13-11 AT 03:31?PM (MST)

I don't want to jinx you, but in all my hunting and fishing in that area I can't honestly say I've seen any antelope in the unit. Not to say they aren't there, but if I was looking it would be in the northern end of the unit. There are plenty in unit 29, so you might also walk the line.

Think NMG&F knows the population is small as there are no rifle or muzzleloader tags for the unit...only the limited archery tags.

>LAST EDITED ON Jul-13-11
>AT 03:32?PM (MST)

>
>LAST EDITED ON Jul-13-11
>AT 03:31?PM (MST)

>
>I don't want to jinx you,
>but in all my hunting
>and fishing in that area
>I can't honestly say I've
>seen any antelope in the
>unit. Not to say they
>aren't there, but if I
>was looking it would be
>in the northern end of
>the unit. There are plenty
>in unit 29, so you
>might also walk the line.
>
>
>Think NMG&F knows the population is
>small as there are no
>rifle or muzzleloader tags for
>the unit...only the limited archery
>tags.

Thanks very much for your advice. I'm happy to go out with tough, realistic expectations and work hard for an opportunity. I did talk with someone at NMG&F yesterday and got information consistent with yours -- basically that there are small numbers in a couple of areas and not much elsewhere. In any case, I very much appreciate your response.

I saw a herd of 17 there one time. I am surprised they have a hunt in that unit. Maybe there is a better population in other parts of the unit.

Archery, and your coming all the way from Iowa? Did you have some good info on the unit?

I saw a little antelope buck the first year I hunted deer in the unit. It was off of the Marathon Gas line road off of 137 west of Carlsbad. That was the only goat we saw though.

>I saw a herd of 17
>there one time. I
>am surprised they have a
>hunt in that unit.
>Maybe there is a better
>population in other parts of
>the unit.
>
>Archery, and your coming all the
>way from Iowa? Did
>you have some good info
>on the unit?

Paul,
Thanks for info. It sounds like it might be a tough hunt, but that's okay. To answer your question, no, I didn't have a hot tip about the unit. It was my third choice for pronghorn. I applied for it in part because, as a bowhunter, I liked the fact that the unit hasn't been rifle hunted for a number of years. I also liked the idea of the adventure that goes with heading off for some far away place that I've never been before. If I'm lucky enough to get a buck, I'll be thrilled, but I'll certainly have a good time either way. In any case I appreciate very much just how helpful you guys have been.

Last question (while thinking optimistically) -- is there meat locker where I could hang my buck for a day or two in Carlsbad, Artesia, or some othe locale?

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom