Unit 30 Barbary

JDElec

I've got a tag and figure this year will amount to as much of a scouting experence as a hunting experence. I've never been to the area won't have time before the hunt. My plan is to hike away from roads and spend alot of time on my glass. My question is more general about the area.

First we might drive or we might fly to save a day each direction, If we drive we will have our own truck and four wheelers. If we drive we will rent an SUV. Question is it important to have a quad in the area or are most roads accessable by an SUV, again we plan to hike but I don't want to destroy the rental just to get to the end of the road.

Second what type of weather is typical in the area during the first part of Feb. We will tent it but if we drive we will have a wall tent with a stove if we fly just a small dome tent. So what is the average daily high and average night low.

I guess that's about it, any advise would be greatly appreciated. I hear its a hard hunt but thats ok I like a challange. Good luck to all, Thanks

If it was me, I would opt for your own truck and ATVs. I don't know that a wall tent would be necessary, but if you're bringing your own truck then better to have it if you decide you want it. Barbarys tend to move around a lot, and unless you have a good solid lead, Unit 30 is the type of unit where you'll probably want to check out several different areas. Lots of two-track roads that I've driven to the end of before I started hiking, which I'm willing to drive my old '96 beater Tacoma on, but would not my new Tundra. Don't worry, after you've driven to end of those roads there's still ample room to hike five or ten miles if you're willing... ;-)

Rental SUV would be a bad idea. You will be replacing tires. Rentals never have tires that are good for those rocky roads.

Every road is driven.
Like Mozey said. Get to the end of a crappy road that most people would not go on, and then start hiking.

Steep nasty terrain, bad roads and wind. That's what I've found the past few years. And as NMPaul and Mozey said, get to where others aren't and you'll find sheep. Last year it went from snow and low am temps (20's) to high 50's and low 60's during the day if the wind didn't blow. Two of the days we elected not to step outside as winds were knocking down street signs. It's southern NM, so I'd plan on wind for sure.

Don't rent an suv/truck. You're going to get flats and have the potential to scratch paint as well depending on the roads you take. I don't care in my ol truck, but I'm positive I wouldn't take a rental on a majority of those roads. Quads would be your best bet if you have the opportunity to bring them.

Can't stress glassing enough for these critters. They seem to just magically appear on a hillside you've been glassing for hours. Last year, there were three of us glassing a particular draw when we found sheep. We were all about 100-150 yds apart and changed positions..moving down the canyon 100 yds at a time every 20-30 minutes. We constantly had 3 sets of eyes on this area we'd seen sheep. After about 2 hours, there were suddenly 14 sheep standing there eating. Should have been visible the whole time (at least it looked that way) but none of us ever saw them. Anyhow, glass glass glass, and you'll be successful. The hardest part is finding them. Good luck and good hunting.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom