Unit 30 Late Elk

blacktailBC

So I drew this tag unexpected (5% draw odds for NR). I know there are quite a few Idaho guys on here, so reaching out for some expert advice.
I Have checked out the basics......hope for snow, bulls coming out of Montana. Planning on going the second half of the season. I would like to talk to someone who has hunted this hunt before. I have a few questions. Mainly, how is the access? Does the motorized vehicle restriction make it tough? Is is worth getting out and hiking? Seems like lots of people just glass from the roads.
Sounds like a fun hunt with plenty of elk.
Thanks for any input.

blacktail

Shoot me a pm, I hunted it under the exact circumstances a few years ago. I can tell you one thing for sure- I would sure like a do-over!!!
If you have the time to spend, you could get a dandy. I was plenty tickled with the bull I took. But still would love to be in your shoes.....

Shoot me a pm, I hunted it under the exact circumstances a few years ago. I can tell you one thing for sure- I would sure like a do-over!!!
If you have the time to spend, you could get a dandy. I was plenty tickled with the bull I took. But still would love to be in your shoes.....
good evening I drew unit 30 this October, im a Texas guy hunting idaho for the first time, would you mind helping me out?

Hoping to revive this thread as I drew this for this fall. Coming from Alaska so will only scout once, likely in October. Would love to hear peoples thoughts on which part of season may be better as well as any other useful information. Feel free to PM as well and I am happy to share Alaska information.

Ben

That unit had a 60% kill on 6-points in 2022, so it looks like you will have a good hunt. I'm not familiar with unit 30, but have hunted 36A, 48, 49, and 44, and i would say hunt the first week. Good Luck.

So I drew this tag unexpected (5% draw odds for NR). I know there are quite a few Idaho guys on here, so reaching out for some expert advice.
I Have checked out the basics......hope for snow, bulls coming out of Montana. Planning on going the second half of the season. I would like to talk to someone who has hunted this hunt before. I have a few questions. Mainly, how is the access? Does the motorized vehicle restriction make it tough? Is is worth getting out and hiking? Seems like lots of people just glass from the roads.
Sounds like a fun hunt with plenty of elk.
Thanks for any input.

blacktail
Shoot me a PM glad to help out some with what I can my folks live in 30 I’ve had the tag before and s as ll my family members have too I can give ya some pointer’s definitely not as good as it once was but put forth the effort you can get a really good bull still.

Shoot me a PM glad to help out some with what I can my folks live in 30 I’ve had the tag before and s as ll my family members have too I can give ya some pointer’s definitely not as good as it once was but put forth the effort you can get a really good bull still.

You do know you're quoting a post from 2015?

Unfortunately, smokepoler63 passed away unexpectedly last year, so is no longer around. I have hunted it in the past, and spent quite a bit of time in the area. Give me a PM if you like

Hoping to revive this thread as I drew this for this fall. Coming from Alaska so will only scout once, likely in October. Would love to hear peoples thoughts on which part of season may be better as well as any other useful information. Feel free to PM as well and I am happy to share Alaska information.

Ben
I sent you a pm

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom