Unit 30 Mule deer

Timberhunter

My brother put in for this unit for mule deer and got drawn, we literally know nothing about the unit. Due to being gone for 10 days on our elk hunt we have no time to scout except maybe a day before the season. This is not our usual type of gameplan whatsoever and I'll prb get burned for it here but does anyone have any starting points/areas to start looking in this unit for deer? Not looking for anything huge but won't shoot a baby either to fill a tag, not our style.

He ended up killing a smaller 3x3. Everyone we talked to had not been seeing any bucks or deer for that matter. Saw one legal buck after hiking/glassing for 4.5 days. Got word from a friend yday that was supposed to be in the neighboring unit next week, his outfitter called and said don't bother, no deer there as well. Weird

Last edited:
He ended up killing a smaller 3x3. Everyone we talked to had not been seeing any bucks or deer for that matter. Saw one legal buck after hiking/glassing for 4.5 days. Got word from a friend yday that was supposed to be in the neighboring unit next week, his outfitter called and said don't bother, no deer there as well. Weird
Child has a youth hunt in a couple weeks. its crazy how many tags there is, did you hunt the higher mountainy areas or the lower rolling hilly areas?

thread-without-pics-gif.gif

I’ll be headed there next weekend on the 2nd hunt. Not gonna lie I’m a little worried.
I don’t know the unit at all but I’m in Oregon so I do know about units without many deer!

For sure, there are less deer everywhere than there used to be but this is the new reality for now so if we want to hunt we have to adapt, at least until the deer are extinct ?

I was hunting a while back and we had filled our tags early and we had the time off so we stayed and just camped a few days and did some scouting to know the unit even better for a possible tag in future years. I talked to several guys who swore there were no deer in the unit, it was awful, waste of time, can’t believe there are even tags in the unit, etc. (And and argument could be made that there were too many tags etc.) I was pretty certain we hadn’t killed the last deer in the unit. So we went out several times and (imagine this!) located bucks that were hunkered down, away from the roads. And I’m guessing that most of them probably made it through the season undiscovered.
I watched a pair of guys walk within 800-1000 yards (easy glassing distance) of two nice 4 point bucks that just watched them walk by. Those guys eventually saw a dink forkie and put the stalk on it like it was a B&C trophy, totally unaware of what they hadn’t seen.
So, maybe your area is awful, maybe there are almost no deer or it’s blown out by horses or the weather is wrong, the list could go on. If you give up or look at all the bad, it will be terrible and you’ll probably miss out on what is there or will settle for something far less than what was hunkered down just a little further off the beaten path. And worse still than not getting something, you’ll make yourself miserable.

If you want killing, go for the high fence outfits. If you want hunting, give it your all and make the best of whatever happens and you’ll have a good time!

Last year I had both deer and barbary hunts in 30. I did alright on the deer hunt, but I was stunned later during my barbary hunt at the bucks I apparently missed on my deer hunt. I think they all must know to hang out in the National Park during the deer season.

Last year I had both deer and barbary hunts in 30. I did alright on the deer hunt, but I was stunned later during my barbary hunt at the bucks I apparently missed on my deer hunt. I think they all must know to hang out in the National Park during the deer season.
That is a fact. Grew up in SE NM and been all over 29 & 30. Still some great deer in both, just few and far between.

I'm sure there are some around and they prob show up later in the year but this was the experience we had, it was not from lack of effort. Never road hunted, was far from roads, glassed and glassed, and glassed different types of habitats etc. Hunted above the rim and below the rim. Not our first rodeo with mule deer. I hope it gets better for the guys in the later seasons that's for sure.

I will start praying that one day I will rise to the levels of wisdom, experience, and awesomeness of bonepicker.

He sounds like one amazing hunter. Im so impressed with his ability to spot such amazing deer when all other hunters fail.

I am not worthy to share screen space or threads with the likes of hunters such as bonepicker. I hope that one day I am as great and white of a hunter as he.

I will start praying that one day I will rise to the levels of wisdom, experience, and awesomeness of bonepicker.

He sounds like one amazing hunter. Im so impressed with his ability to spot such amazing deer when all other hunters fail.

I am not worthy to share screen space or threads with the likes of hunters such as bonepicker. I hope that one day I am as great and white of a hunter as he.
Haha! Perhaps someday you will be as magnificent as I! Until then I shall deign to allow you to share screen space with me, you have shown proper humility and recognition. ???

I'm sure there are some around and they prob show up later in the year but this was the experience we had, it was not from lack of effort. Never road hunted, was far from roads, glassed and glassed, and glassed different types of habitats etc. Hunted above the rim and below the rim. Not our first rodeo with mule deer. I hope it gets better for the guys in the later seasons that's for sure.
It didn't, im with my son now and the unit has taken a big hit downward. From Carlsbad originally and know the unit pretty well but this year its been rough. More elk than deer by far. Thinking that the 800 tags per rifle season has caught up and deer numbers are suffering Big Time .

It didn't, im with my son now and the unit has taken a big hit downward. From Carlsbad originally and know the unit pretty well but this year its been rough. More elk than deer by far. Thinking that the 800 tags per rifle season has caught up and deer numbers are suffering Big Time .
Man that’s too bad.. we have the youth hunt next.

That stinks, hopefully y'all can catch up with one.

Granted it was our 3rd choice this year and it beat sitting on the couch , we will chose a different 3rd choice next year. NMGF must scale back all those tags !!!! Fun watching those elk .

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom