unit 30 questions

NMHUNTER

Just a couple of quick questions. Is there a gas station in Queen?or should I plan on taking a few 5 gal cans? and also is there usually a lot of hunters in that area for the muzzy hunt? Trying to get my wife her first deer and don't want to be in the crowds of hunters.

I also have a muzzy tag for this unit. I'm not trying to hijack your post but, I could use some info as well. Hunted sheep on the western end but didn't see much deer but, then I wasn't looking for them either. Just looking for a good place to camp and, maybe some area I mite find a buck. Any help would be appriciated. Ill send you a pm nmhunter maybe we can share some info

no gas in Queens..used to have one but not anymore..so bring some gas with you.

there are some good areas for deer...The Rim, Texas Hill, Collin hills..

good luck and post some pic after your hunts..

vinihunt

Thanks vini. I was looking around on the net and. It said there is a gas station in queens.lol I guess its not up to date. Thanks again for the help.

call this #575-981-2439

I forgot the lady name, she own the store and rv park..

I will be down for 2nd season rifle season...:)

vinihunt

if you want to stay away from the crowd come down low, thats were the deer are anyways!

thanks again vini. looks like ill be hauling some gas with me. there is alot of country up there i hope i can get my wife on a buck. im more excited to get her a deer than i am for my second hunt in 33. good luck on your hunt. will post pics when we get back. only a few more weeks cant wait

yes, area around hope are very good. also the area around carlsbad, seeing alot of deer actually close to town but outside city limits.

sweet im gonna have to check it out. heading out sunday to do a little scouting and hopefully find a good spot to hunt and camp. thanks for the info will look into the area around hope. i have been hearing that the deer are becoming a problem around carlsbad, i mite have to go in and help with that problem lol.. thanks again

I don't see too many quality deer on top anymore around queen, but there sure are alot of big ones running around down through Dog Canyon at the bottom. When I used to hunt the unit for sheep, I would come across several in the 24" plus range.

No gas anywhere but town. Another thing is the fires we have had. The burned areas are closed so that takes out a major portion off the southern end and on top around Queens. There are a fair number of deer off the northern end as you go the thru the foothills south of Hope. Might be a tough trophy type hunt but ok meat hunt. Good Luck

appriciate the info guys. thanks for the info on the fires i had really planned to hunt down south. did any fires burn in the broke offs?

go to the end of rock daisy road. after it turns to gravel travel another 5 miles to the south west. hunt the public land in that area. usually lots of bucks scattered around in there. that would be the flats directly between hope and carlsbad. tdub is right the rim is a cluster fu$&! not many deer in there either. collins hills is even worse. the deer in there have been anihalated. just my two cents

I too have hunted that unit around Queen quite a bit. So what happened to it? I assume drought and lions.

Others might say overhunting, but I hunted it before you had to draw when there were far more hunters and deer.

thanks for the info guys. i went out sunday and found a pretty good spot south of hope. hopefully we wont be in the crowds. the 22nd cant come soon enough!! thanks again for the help and ill post pics when we get back from the hunt. good luck to everyone on the up coming hunts

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom