Unit 31 type 1 Elk

BenHuntn

Any advice on where to scout for bulls in unit 31 for bull elk. I will have about 2 weeks to scout but I have never hunted elk with a rifle in the unit. I've spent a little time near Little Mountain but that's it.

Julius

Double Drop nailed it. Elk everywhere in the unit. Literally. You either have to be blind or not go to not see elk. Good luck. That's a great tag. I highly recommend archery hunting. If you're not a bowhunter; become one. Bowhunting rutting bulls with archery tackle is a most amazing hunt!

Yup to both of these guys. All I would add is make sure if you camp way off the highway, make sure to get your camp out of there if a major storm is coming in. There has been more than one person that had to wait till spring...

I am an avid bowhunter. I may have to spend some quality time and see where they like to rut.
813702014archeryelk075.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Jun-24-18 AT 08:16AM (MST)[p]Thanks Mike. This was a bull I got in the Bighorn mountains a few years back. What did you draw this year?

>Topgun, those are called devil points.
>pretty common on mature bulls.
>

That's interesting because I don't think I recall seeing them on any bulls I've seen myself or pictures of.

>LAST EDITED ON Jun-24-18
>AT 08:16?AM (MST)

>
>Thanks Mike. This was a bull
>I got in the Bighorn
>mountains a few years back.
>What did you draw this
>year?

I drew my Region M buck deer tag and a couple doe antelope tags.

devil points is also what I have always known them as too. Common??? I can think of a handful that has had them of the 1000's that I have seen.

I am a little confused as to your exact question of this thread.

You state you have never rifle hunted in this area.
Does that mean you have bow hunted it?

You also latter state you are a accomplished bow hunter.
Does that mean you will be bow hunting this year?

Also you said you have plenty of time to scout.
Is that in August or Sept. because you will not be bow hunting and only hunting with your rifle?

Not trying to be rude or condescending in any way, just trying to figure out what kind of info exactly you are looking for.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-24-18 AT 04:21PM (MST)[p]Common, might be a stretch??, but I have killed 3 bulls with them and involved in about that many more with friends. Not something easily seen when glassing them up. Common knowledge of the terminology is what I should have said, I would think people who have hunted elk what know of them.

I have hunted Wyoming since 1989, seen I bull just last year that would have been #4 for me but he was a couple hundred yards on the wrong side of the fence....but all the bulls have I been involved with were from Utah.

813702014archeryelk075.jpg

I have never hunted elk in 31.
I will be bowhunting and if unsuccessful I will rifle hunt it.
I will be scouting prior to archery season. I will be elk hunting in New Mexico on the Gila from Sept 7th to the 13th then back to Unit 31. I have about 3 weeks to hunt with a bow and 4 weeks to hunt with a rifle. In between I need to go over to Baggs and hunt for mule deer. Then in November off to hunt muleys in Colorado 3rd season. Hope that clears things up.

Wow, wish I was you. That's some great hunting opportunities. ENJOY. Spent a few days in unit 31 a few years ago and just as stated above ....lots and lots of elk.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-21-19 AT 09:35AM (MST)[p]I killed an average 5x6. Nothing big. I did see 2 real nice bulls, however they gave me the slip. I killed my bull with a rifle. It was a fun hunt.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom