UNIT 34 & 33 WOLVES?

BRUIN4L

Hi guys. I have hunted the Deadwood area for elk quite a few times in the 90's and early 00's. These were primarily archery hunts and we had pretty good success. We noticed a real decline in the numbers the last few times we hunted and saw wolf sign. We started hunting new areas but I was wondering if the downward elk number trend continued or if that area has held its own. I know the area well and I'm not looking for hunting spots, I'm just seeing what the area has done in the last 10 years.

The sawtooth zone (wich includes 33&34) and the lolo zone are where the wolves have had the biggest impact in the state. Elk numbers continue to decline and the wolves are getting fat. Still Elk around but it sure as hell ain't what it used to be. Tough hunting.

the artist formerly known as "gemstatejake".

My gut feeling from tromping around those units is that elk numbers are down, deer numbers are way down and wolves are getting thicker.

In the last five years or so the cow elk muzzleloader hunt in 33,34 went from 'open' to controlled hunt with hundreds of tags to now a controlled hunt with just 50 tags.

So, yes, the elk numbers have continued to decline.

I spent about 20 days scouting and hunting in the sawtooth zone last season. The few Bulls I saw where mostly of the same age class 5 and 6 points. I saw no spikes or small raghorns and very few calves. This indicates heavy predation in the last few years, however I never saw a wolf or a wolf track in the areas I scouted and hunted, so go figure. Also the 5 point bull I harvested on opening day was bugling all day and all night prior to the opener. This indicates that that particular herd was not being harassed by wolves as much and are starting to be a little more comfortable in their environment or learning to deal with wolves better. I'm looking forward to going back in to these areas this summer to see how things look and how many more or less animals I see.

The deer is a sad state of affairs in the areas I was in, I saw only 1 forked horn and a few does.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom