Unit 34 Antler Growth

N

NM_Muley_Hunter

Looking for some help from the locals or anyone else that has scouted up there recently...I was there over 4th of July, and did a little scouting. Saw several bucks in my hunting spot that were out to their ears with forks developing (but still very short), but couldn't tell any more than that. For those of you that have seen more deer around...how well developed are the more mature bucks antlers at this point?

Thanks...

Have seen a few nice bulls so far. Saw 4 bucks so far but they were all small.

These bulls of which you speak...did they happen to give you their addresses? I'd like to visit them on the morning of 4 October if they're not busy.

DC

LAST EDITED ON Jul-12-08 AT 04:35PM (MST)[p]I did a little truck scouting with my 3 kids today and saw a small (10-15) bunch of elk (I couldn't see their heads), as well as 8 deer (2 small bucks and 6 does). This was in a short little drive up out of the cabin.

I'd post the video, but it would probably make you seasick.

DC

I'm figuring the buck I saw will be decent...His antlers went straight out to the end of his ears, branched, and began going up. The branches were only a couple of inches long, though. Only 2 tines per side right now. He had some nice brow tines, though...already very noticeable.

I guess I'll just have to make another scouting trip before the season, dang it.

I saw quite a few bulls. Many of them were already 4x4's, some working on their 5ths.

The larger of the two bucks I saw today went straight out to his ears and then kicked up to a fork. I didn't get a great look at him as I was fiddling with the camera.

I hope he gets big, as he was only about 1/4 mile from the cbin.

DC

I'm seeing some good bulls and all the cows and calves look healthy. The grass is really growing and the elk are back to normal habits. The bigger bulls are still staying in the timber till right at dark but the cows and calves are out feeding as early as 4 in the afternoon.

Lukless
where is your cabin? I have one on the mountain too and think we look at alot of the same elk and deer.

WapitiCraig

Craig,
My cabin is off Agua Chiquita on Sky Ridge. I spent the day up the putting siding on the cabin and watching elk.

DC

Growth Looks GOOOOD...

I saw a ton of game today. I spent most of the day working on my cabin, but I was often distracted by the herd of elk on the ridge across the way. It is the same herd as usual, but this time I laid eyes on the herd bull. He's big.

On the drive home, I saw four nice 4x4 muleys and a few other elk herds. All seemed to have excellent growth so far.

I took video again, but it sucked.

DC

Took this one on July 8.

489b8ea57e76708a.jpg

Very low light so please excuse the quality. I'm still new at the whole photography thing.... getting better though!

All,
Pray2Hunt and I (as well as his boys and my boy) spent the day working on my cabin. On the way up, we saw a few white tail and some muleys and then took the scenic way home to check on game. We saw some great views and drove in the rain for an extra hour and a half, but saw very little at first. Then... it hit! We saw whitetails out the wahzoo and a muleys. Three of the white tails were bucks, one spike and two NICE wide dudes. We had just about lost light and Jerry made the comment "I guess no elk today" when we spotted some cows off the side of the road. we had a nice pull out and watched them for a good 15 minutes hoping for the bull, but no. So, we got back on the road and went about 150 tards over the hump and saw an SUV with its hazards on and a woman hanging out the sunroof (not like Martigras, get you minds out of the gutter). There he was - the big fella. He was a nice 6x6 and still looked to have a bit of growing to do.

Oh yeah, Jerry also got a pic of a doe boxing with a dog. A doe was about 5 feet from a fenced yard in an area famous for deer feeding. A dog decided to give her what for and she would have none of it. She walked forward and studders like she was going to jump in with FIDO, instead, she threw a series of jabs quicker than Ali. Jerry was clicking away and got a great shot...

Hopefully Pray2Hunt will post pics soon.

DC

Maybe you guys can help me out. My Utah elk hunt was canceled and I can not be more bummed.
I herd that there were a lot of elk in unit 34. I plan on being in El Paso on business in mid September. I have a half a day to spend up there.

Is there a good spot that I can drive to and take a short hike to get a small elk fix?

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom