Unit 34 Youth Hunt Advice-Rut?

bucksmut

Headed to unit 34 with my youngster nephew for the October 5-10 youth rifle bull elk hunt and thought I would throw out a post and see if anyone has any advice for a newwbie to that unit-I've never hunted elk that far south before.

We are planning on getting there a few days early and scouting around the Cloudcroft area and hope to answer some questions about the unit before then.

Some basic questions that are running through my mind as we prepare:

Do you think by 10/5 the rut will still be in full swing or be tailing off by then? Would calls be a factor or be too late by then? With muleys the further south the later the rut hits but I'm honestly not sure how that works with elk.

I've researched the numbers and seems that there are lots of elk in this unit-would finding/sitting water sources be a poor use of time opposed to glassing/chasing bugles?

In that regard,is this unit even conducive to glassing?

How are the roads if we get some weather-would chains be overkill?

Would a UTV or quad be a huge help on this unit or will a 4x4 truck be just as good?

Thanks for sharing any insight you might have. Having some insight to these basic questions will really help in the planning and logistics phase when preparing to drive for 15 hours. We will have a mobile camp and plan to be flexible.

He is really excited to go chase elk. Previous success rates for this hunt are pretty good from the research I have done (in the 70% range mostly)-is this a unit where we should be having him be ready to capitalize on any bull we find first thing or would it be wise to see if we can be a little patient and find a mature bull.

Appreciate your input.

Thanks,

-Bucksmut

LAST EDITED ON Sep-18-19 AT 07:43PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Sep-18-19 AT 07:41?PM (MST)

Yes usually full swing rut.

Chase bugles.

Glassing is so-so. Most of the unit is thick timber it isn't great for glassing. There are some spots that you can glass effectively

Won?t need chains that time of year, most roads are good.

You can be picky, you should have multiple opportunities but I wouldn't pass any descent 6x6 or big 5x5. The unit isn't known for big bulls but there are a few

ATV would be good to bring, there are lots of ATV only Trails in that unit will open a lot of country. You will be fine with out it too.

It's a great hunt you will have a blast

Muleman thanks for the reply! These details are very helpful. I've done some digging in the archives here and found some other useful information as well.

Crunchtime-PM Sent back. Thank you!

Now the challenge is to get through two more weeks of work without getting too distracted!

I hunted 34 7-8 years ago with my nephew on a youth bull hunt. It was unbelievable, rut was strong, bulls everywhere. My nephew ended up shooting a smoker 5x5. You can pm if you would like. Also the BEST resource in 34 is NMPAUL
Good luck it's a hunt of a lifetime

That is encouraging WapitiWilly! Thanks for the reply.

I found some videos done by CompassWest Outfitters in that area and it looks like a blast!

Sent you a PM.

It's a epic hunt. If there is a downside, it is only 5 days. Only time I would use a call is to locate.
Very unlikely you will call in a herd bull, but, you can call in satellite bulls in all day.

If you hunt the thick stuff, the better bulls will have a growl.

Get here early if possible and scout.

Thanks Paul! We are looking forward to it but you're right, it will be here and gone before we know it with only a 5 day season.

We have hunted archery and my brother had a Beaver, Ut LE muzzy tag last year and we found this same principle to be true with the calls-the herd bulls didn't want anything to do with us-they would bugle and then go the other direction! Where he found success on the heard bulls was to just locate at dark and then get really aggressive and try to sneak right in on them and hopefully find a shot opportunity.

Funny you should mention the growl, as that is something I have always tried to key in on despite hearing other opinions on the contrary that you can't determine size by bugle. I do believe you can use that to help sort out a mature herd bull bugle vs. satellite most of the time. There is just something that resonates differently in that growl on the bigger bulls.

It will be interesting to play around with the elk in a different region than we typically hunt. I'm thinking most things translate.

I sent you a PM with a question. Thanks!

Follow-up:

Had a great time getting to know the unit and learning the elk patterns. Met lots of great people online and out in the field that were beyond helpful. Thanks again for the PM's and advice on this thread-the information was helpful.

We arrived late in the night on Wednesday after a 14 hour drive that seemed longer than that. After two blown tires and many pee breaks with the kids we made it to Cloudcroft a little before midnight. The next two days were spent driving the unit and glassing/calling. We found a few vocal bulls with cows and we were seeing about 10 bulls both days.

On opening morning we decided to go back to an area where we saw the biggest heard bull from out scouting the day before. After a failed attempt to get to the area, we were finally able to navigate to where we thought the bull was living.

By then it was mid-morning so we crept in silently and happened to find the bull bedded. The sun eventually moved onto this bull and he re-positioned himself in the shade. We took this opportunity to close the distance from about 600 yards down to about 150. Kaden (the youth hunter) was ready. We asked him if he was sure he wanted this bull and all we heard back from him was the "Click" of him taking the safety of the gun off.

Two perfect shots later and he had himself a great 6x6 bull. He was beyond excited and so were we! If anyone is losing some of the passion for hunting I would suggest going with a youth hunter and it will be quickly restored as it was really fun to be a part of this hunt and see the excitement and passion through the eyes of a youngster.

We were able to make one trip that night and then pack the rest of the bull out the next day with enough time left in our trip to visit the White Sands Monument and Pistachio land! Overall it was a very fun and memorable trip.

Thanks again for all the help and advice! Once I get a moment I will share some pics of Kaden's bull.

Glad it worked out for your nephew. To this day that was one of the most memorable hunts I've been on. Something special about sharing the experience with a youth hunter on there first elk hunt. Can?t wait to see the pictures?

Finally getting back around to posting a photo of Kaden's bull.

Thanks again for all the help and input!

The smiles speak for themselves!

48943726471_fa7ed817d6_k.jpg
[/url]

Finally getting back around to posting a photo of Kaden's bull.

Thanks again for all the help and input!

The smiles speak for themselves!

YES THEY DO! Congratulations to all!

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom