unit 35 insight

fullthrottle

Very Active Member
I drew a 3rd season muley tag for these units. From the little bit of info I can find I am curious as to what to expect for quality. Are 170+ bucks a reasonable goal? Should I expect to see a couple bucks in this caliber? How are the deer doing in this unit? I am planning a scouting trip to get a feel for the area. I appreciate any info I can get. I would be willing to trade info for Utah units.

I saw your post from last year. I am also from Utah looking to go and hunt 35 in Colorado this year. How was your hunt? Was it worth the it? How many deer did you see and what caliber of bucks should I expect? Any info is appreciated.

Thanks

Tough hunt, lots of quality private. The public portion of the unit is really weather dependent, and during our hunt there was no weather, we were wearing T shirts most days. To be honest I was fairly disappointed in the hunt. Great habitat, but very few deer on the public, lots of hunters. We got after it 6 days straight from sun up to sun down, hiked into a couple of the more remote area's that I thought would be honey holes and was not impressed, didn't see very many deer let alone bucks. That being said it is Colorado if you get some weather could be good. I would research others, especially if you have more than 1 point. In the research I did all I kept hearing was pray for snow, now I know why. Saw a handful of bucks on public, can't honestly say I passed on any 160" type bucks.

I had the tag last year and did quite well. My buddy and I took a 174 nontypical and a 180 four point. I can honestly say we passed on 40-50 bucks in the three days we hunted. I must have been in the right spot, with the migration moving right through us. I think this is a great hunt if you have the knowledge of where to look for the deer. That being said, I think I have just as good of a chance of taking a buck with an OTC tag in Idaho. My two cents.

Elkboy - can we see some pics?

I had the hunt last year, and it was OK. It was my first year in the unit, and there is a ton of private land where most of the bucks hang out. But maybe I wasn't in the right places.

We also saw basically no rut activity. The bucks we saw were singles or paired up with other bucks.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom