Unit 36 elk

monkey

Me and my wife drew a unit 36 1st bow hunt elk tag! what kinda bull can we expect and being the first hunt and the bulls aren't in full rut whats the best way to hunt em in this unit at that time any help would be appreciated.

If I had that tag, I'd call one in and kill it. Probably sit water once in a while depending what a camera showed but sure wouldn't spend all my time there.

Best way to kill a bull early is to sit water. Second best way is light cow calling and watching for silent bulls slipping in on you. Find the highest water in a canyon and put the wind in your favor. Tree stands on wet spots up high are dynamite. First hunt, I wouldn't get too picky if you have never hunted the unit. However, if you are willing to work your butt off and especially if you can pack into the wilderness away from others, you should do well.

Water is getting pretty scares around here ( W. M. Wilderness). We've only had 3/4 inch of rain since the first of March. There are some drainages still running slow though.

I've been up there in some really dry years and have always found water in the canyons. The elk especially like the seeps that are highest up the canyon. Argentina always has water and the back side of Nogal always hold elk. Next to the reservation on the ski area is usually good as well as is the country SW of Bonita Lake. Coming in from the West or NW side will get you away from the crowds. Its rough country but if you are willing to work, there are some really big bulls back there. Bottom line is just hike up and away from the crowds, even in the early season, you are likely to find bulls responsive to calling and if you have the patience to find those upper seeps and sit them you can fill your tag.

Don't forget to make a run through the fort stanton area while you are scouting....saw a boatload of big rubs on the northside of there on my late archery deer hunt a couple years ago.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom