unit 36

muleymaddness

Very Active Member
I've done some research on this unit and am having mixed thoughts about this unit. My main question is this: is the terrain too rough for a solo elk hunter? Would you recommend it? My plan would be to have a packer in mind in the case I connected.
Cory

Cory this unit is pretty extreme in areas, but too rough for one guy may not be much to another.It's a great elk unit and it is some rough country, but thats one of the reasons it produces some smoker sum bucks...

Never been there so this is hearsay but I read on here that its too steep for horses BUT @ the RMEF in Reno, the F&G guy for 34 and 36 told me that isn't so. I believe it has both, very steep and some milder country. That said, the better bulls will be where they are harder to get too, usually.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-31-08 AT 11:04AM (MST)[p]We have a cabin in 36 near Nogal Peak. Have hunted horseback in the unit and "too rough for horses" is not true. Of course with any steep, rugged country there are places you can't get a horse into, but if its that steep you can get a downed, quartered elk to the bottom pretty easy. There is a commerical riding stable in Nogal Canyon that takes clients into some damn good elk country (and rugged) and alot of these guys look like they have never seen a horse. He does use several mules however.

I would not hesitate to hunt 36 alone, but having a packer lined out is a real good idea.

Another thing to note is that alot of the best elk country in 36 is Wilderness so if you don't want to lug him out on you back you need a horse or mule.
Good luck. Jay

Take a kid hunting. You will enjoy it more than they do!

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom