Unit 39 Elk

excavator

Well, I am headed to Unit 39 with a rilfe bull elk tag next year. For some reason, the state of Wyoming has not released their harvest stats for 2009. I am curious if anybody might have elk hunted unit 39 last year and how it was for you?

I know this is a small unit with not a whole lot of tags, but surely someone out there has hunted Unit 39 for elk or has some information on it?

I thought I had a good tag in my hand, but somebody has told me this unit can be a real hit and miss unit due to weather, etc... and that sometimes the elk move off the mountain down on to private ground or just out of the unit. If this is the case, I may need to alter my plans.

Does anybody know anything about this unit or am I simply too new to the forum to be talked to? If you do have information that you would be willing to provide (I am not looking to go hunt somebody's hot spot)it would most definitely be appreciated. If you want, you could e-mail me at [email protected].

Thanks,

Todd

I actually have done quite a bit of research into this unit
for the archery hunt,,,,And have been told by many its good
during the bow hunt....But rifle can suck.
Hope you have better luck than some of those I've talked to.
4aec49a65c565954.jpg

Last year, most people got snowed in. There is still a bunch of camping trailers snowed in on both sides of the highway. There are some wolves running around, no matter what the F&G say. They have cut the numbers down some. You can catch the elk before they get to the private ground, that is if a bunch of people don't scare them off the day before. I would shoot the first decent bull you see. There is usually snow, so be prepared for that. It is beautiful country. One of the biggest problems is the opener of the elk hunt is the same day as the opener of the deer hunt. There are usually quite a few guys along the roads and close to them. There are some areas to hike into that will get you away from the crowds but horses are a neccisity to pack out a big wapati. Unless you're a tough S.O.B. The best way to hunt is plan on scouting a few days before the season and hope to find some secluded elk. Good luck and remember tire chains.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom